The Facilities Management unit of the Division of Facilities and Services at West Virginia University is seeking applications for Trades Specialist I. This position is under the supervision of the Department Manager. This chosen incumbent performs as a Journey level craftsperson with a variety of skills sets such as Electrical, Fire Alarm Maintenance and Telecommunications.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 15 annual leave (vacation) days per year or more based on years of service (employee leave)
- 18 sick days per year
(for when you’re ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family’s, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ’s.
- Wellness programs
What you'll do:
- Work from blueprints and specifications and in conjunction with supervisor, architects, engineers, factory representatives, installs or provides for special equipment unique to each project.
- Provide electrical power for signal circuits and equipment such as fire alarms, phones, computers, P.A. systems, intercoms, TV, satellite, audio visual, etc.
- Make installation or provisions for equipment and controls of HVAC equipment, pumps, compressors etc.
- Install maintain, repair, inspect, electrical conduit, tubing, surface raceways and accessories, bussducts, and cable trays of all types, sizes, and styles.
- Build, install, troubleshoot, maintain, and/or repair motors, motor controls, motor control centers, and interface with all necessary external equipment such as fire alarms, computers, safety devices, mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic, programmable and digital controls or equipment.
- Install, operate, inspect and repair high voltage distribution equipment inside and outside the building and make cable splices in underground applications, manholes, vaults, tunnels, and distribution equipment. Install, maintain, operate, and repair emergency power systems such as generators, transfer switches, battery backup (UPS) systems, emergency lighting, etc.
- Preform functional and operational testing using electronic test equipment and meters. Operate equipment to include motorized and hydraulic benders, wire pulling winches, core drills, hydraulic punching tools, portable and stationary saws and drills, vacuum and pressure operated dishing systems. Utilize truck-mounted lift bucket.
- Set-up systems, develop layouts, develop program and purchase components for fire alarm protection to support renovation projects in laboratories, large office complexes, access areas and classrooms in compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Install, fabricate or modify fire protection equipment, wiring and devices working from blueprints, schematics and specifications and in conjunction with architects engineers, and/or factory representatives unique to each project.
- Preform functional and operational testing using electronic test equipment and meters.
- Install, and modify intercom systems, TV cable systems, TV sets, paging and radio systems. Install and modify building equipment utilizing electronic controls.
- Design, fabricate, install, and modify instrumentation equipment and electronic controls to support research projects and /or as teaching aids. Develop documentation and necessary record keeping as required by regulating authorities in regards to fire and life safety. Install, upload, trouble shoot and modify computer support program for associated fire protection software within the Health Sciences Facility.
- Function as primary responder when an alert for potential fire or smoke alarm danger is indicated.
- Operate, test and maintain all associated fire protection, equipment, computer programming and technical documentation. Perform preventative maintenance to all fire protection devices associated with fire alarm systems within the facility.
- Maintain, document and initiate electronic and/or mechanical repairs of all classes of electronic equipment which will include modifications and calibrations as necessary.
- Perform preventative maintenance, functional and operational testing using electronic test equipment and meters.
- Maintain and repair and modify instrumentation equipment and electronic controls to support research projects and /or as teaching aids.
- Perform scheduled preventative maintenance and document necessary record keeping as required by regulating authorities in regards to fire and life safety.
Pay Grade 13: WVU provides competitive wages for its employees, and takes experience and related education into consideration when determining appropriate salary.
Shift: 7am to 3pm. Qualifications
- High School Diploma and up to 18 months of education/training beyond high school or equivalent is essential.
- Must have at least 2 years broad knowledge of the following trades.
- Journeyman level of electrical experience.
- Strong computer skills (word processing, data entry and PC diagnostics).
- Knowledge of building trades methods and practices in commercial work.
- Ability to read blue prints and construction diagrams.
- Ability to stoop, bend, crawl and climb heights over 10 feet.
- Ability to work in inclement weather conditions.
- Ability to work around moving equipment.
- Ability to have excellent eye to hand coordination.
- Ability to hear and interpret sounds in work area and verbal instructions.
- Ability to lift materials over 50 lbs.
- Ability to use logical problem solving techniques.
- Ability to read, follow and interpret safety rules and guidelines.
Journeyman Level Electricians License
This job has expired.