Under direction of the manager/director, plan, organize, schedule and direct the work of the section in order to effectively maximize employees, equipment and material utilization within budgetary constraints while adhering to quality technical standards. Accountable for quantity and quality of specimens handled and test results.
- Oversee activities of the department, distribute/assign work, determine priorities, schedule non-routine procedures.
- Perform supervisory functions for their assigned staff including interviewing, hiring, training and providing staff development through performance evaluation and corrective counseling.
- Perform advanced/specialized tests and other related laboratory techniques. May duplicate work of others to confirm test results. Re-evaluate methodology, make recommended changes and assists in test interpretation. Determine if further testing should be done on samples or if test should be repeated.
- Check/approve all specialized and problem reports for accuracy.
- Initiate quality-control measures and monitor quality of work for adherence to laboratory standards.
- Perform duties of technologist as necessitated by absence or peak workload.
- Completes special projects as requested - surveys, statistical reports, studies, research, etc.
- Maintain laboratory areas and equipment in a safe, functional and sanitary condition.
- Complete training and competency checklists as appropriate.
- Adheres to all established CLIA, HIPAA, OSHA and laboratory safety requirements.
- Required to use (a) personal protective equipment, (b) engineering controls and/or (c) work practice controls as directed by management.
- Answer questions from clients or other lab personnel, if applicable.
- Participate in government or regulatory agency inspections, if needed.
- Other duties as assigned. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities, but rather a general description of work performed by the position.
QUALIFICATIONS Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
- Minimum five (5) years full-time supervisory experience
- New York State Inspection Lab Requirements
- 6 years clinical experience
At least 1 year as a Supervisor at Quest Diagnostics Physical and Mental Requirements:
- The normal performance of duties may require lifting and carrying objects: Objects 1 to 10 pounds are lifted and carried frequently; objects 11 to 25 pounds are lifted and carried occasionally; objects 36 to 50 pounds are seldom lifted or carried and objects over 50 pounds are not to be lifted or carried without assistance.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- May be required to use a wide variety of manual and automated pipettes and laboratory instruments and apparatuses all of which demand significant manual dexterity.
- Comprehensive theoretical and operational job knowledge in designated specialty required.
- Knowledge of organizational/departmental policies and procedures.
- Proven leadership and problem-solving skills.
- Must be detail-oriented, have the ability to work independently, establish work priorities and to handle several tasks simultaneously for maximum department efficiency.
- Interpersonal and communication skills necessary to deal courteously and effectively with employees, co-workers and clients.
- Ability to deal with client information in a confidential manner.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook) and Laboratory Information Systems.
This job has expired.