College Board - Technology Division
100% Remote US based, working core EST hours
About the Team
The College Board's elite team is comprised of highly capable engineers that develop and deliver products and customer-facing platforms, which are critical to students, and other internal and external stakeholders. You will be joining a rapidly expanding elite team of engineers. At its maturity, the product will serve engaging content to students across multiple channels, including a mobile app. We are focusedonimproving the speed and reliability of our service delivery in support of our mission; to positively impact the educational and career trajectories of millions of students annually.
About the Opportunity
As a Senior Architect engineer, you will be responsible for architecting and delivering a new portfolio of products. You'll provide exceptional leadership and technical innovation to features, usually including elements that go beyond the engineering team's boundaries, and ensure effective delivery of roadmap timelines and risk management. To be successful in this role, you will be poly-skilled and a clear expert in multiple technical areasto solve problems.
You will both support and mentor team members and others across the organization by providing timely, balanced, and actionable feedback. You'll own the technical roadmap, drive strategic technical direction, and identify risks, opportunities, and solutions that influence strategy. You will also have the exciting opportunity to develop and drive tech ed program strategy.
In this role, you will:
Strategy & Design Leadership (60%)
- Design and implement best-in-class systems and frameworks that will succeed long-term
- Coordinate the creation and maintenance of technology roadmaps incorporating the life cycle of all relevant technology components
- Design and implement 'right sized' and 'right sourced' technical solutions for the entire product portfolio and ensure seamless product integration. Identify risks, opportunities, and solutions that influence strategy considering all aspects of a solution or solutions (costs, privacy, data retention, security, etc.)
- Develop patterns that work for a portfolio or across portfolios
- Establish "Systems Thinking" - break problems into manageable pieces, understand how the pieces interact and create an integrated, functioning, "whole" system when assembled
- Evaluate alternative architectures with respect to composition, e.g. people, hardware, software (buy vs. build), security, facilities, policies, documents, risks, and cost
- Contribute to technology strategy and planning. Conduct research and build proofs-of-concept on emerging technologies to support systems development efforts and recommend technologies that will increase systems' flexibility
- Work with key stakeholders, including customers, product managers, cross-functional partners, and external partners, to specify, plan, design, develop, test, and support software components as assigned
- Manage efforts with purpose and approach to ensure delivery of quality solutions and participate in technical and architecture reviews
- Ability to effectively respond to questions and issues - i.e., effective in communicating complex concepts to diverse audiences at all levels in the organization
- Passion for technology, with an ability to understand and assess new technologies and their potential applicability to business needs efficiently and effectively.
Coaching and Collaboration (40%)
- Maintain an ongoing awareness of emerging technologies and industry trends to inform technical domain strategy and direction
- Demonstrate experience in leading and mentoring technical staff in the development and usage of technology architectures and solutions
- Lead the tech voice for program/portfolio leadership and contribute as an EARC reviewer/ mentor
- Demonstrate ability to develop and maintain good customer working relationships.
- Motivate the teams to achieve higher levels of technical innovation
- Minimum 7 Years of experience in professional software development
- BS degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field / equivalent experience
- 10+ years of general experience in systems design and integration, including web and mobile platforms
- 7+ years minimum across multiple disciplines (Agile Methodologies, Scrum Framework, Risk management, Technology planning, design, development, System Integration)
- Technical knowledge of Cloud Computing patterns, DevOps methods, CI/CD automation practices, and Microservices e.g. DDD, Messaging vs. REST, Data isolation, etc
- Strong knowledge of COTS evaluation principles and practices.
- Extensive experience in developing strategic solution architecture plans.
- Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities
- Strong knowledge of applicable data security principles and practices
- Extensive and recent full-stack web development skills
- Maintain knowledge of current and emerging tools, technologies, solutions, and methodologies
- Create synergies and reuse within and across projects. Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Strong interpersonal and consultative skills
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail
- Strong leadership skills and customer satisfaction orientation
- Lifelong Learner - what is learned today will be obsolete tomorrow; demonstrated continuous learning