GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT: Summarize the nature and level of work performed.
Brigham and Women's Hospital is dedicated to:
• serving the needs of our local and global community
• providing the highest quality health care to patients and their families
• expanding the boundaries of medicine through research
• educating the next generation of health care professional
Every employee plays an important role in providing a positive impact on the organization and the people we serve. Your work will be distinguished by demonstrating respect and dignity in all interactions with patients, families and colleagues, excellence in customer service and job performance. All employees are expected to embrace this commitment and demonstrate behavioral competencies in the
People: Focus on serving the community through collaboration and respect
Self-Management: Accountability, professionalism and commitment to growth and development
Organization: A commitment to quality, service, and exceptional performance
Meeting these expectations is key to the success of your department and the organization.
This job description includes:
• General expectations for the position
• Addendum A - BWH Behavioral Competencies
• Addendum B - Job Specific Tasks and Responsibilities
• Addendum C - Physical/Working Conditions
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Indicate key areas of responsibility, major job duties, special projects, and key objectives for this position. These items should be evaluated throughout the year and included in the written annual evaluation.
Actual job duties may vary by department (see Addendum B for more detail)
- Perform administrative duties under minimal supervision at the highest proficiency level.
- Provides direct support to Division Chief, Director or Administrator
- Work is highly complex, non-repetitive and often project oriented,
- Ability to problem solves and determine best course of action with little direction.
- Act as a lead, assign and prioritize workflow, troubleshoot issues, assist with training and
- orientation, and provide backup support for the Supervisor.
- May direct workflow and lead others. Mentor other staff.
- Work on projects, coordinate work, take initiative using all available resources, follow through on
- issues when needed, apply knowledge as appropriate with little direction from Supervisor.
- Track expense budgets, perform basic bookkeeping tasks and create financial reports.
- Track and analyze financial and productivity data; set up databases.
- Assist with training and orienting staff as needed.
Provide cross coverage as needed.
- Assist with special projects as directed.
- Follow HIPAA guidelines for the management of patient privacy and confidentiality.
- Other duties, as assigned
Technical skills required:
- Knowledge of practice operations and standards.
- Understanding of procedures including filing, copying, scanning, printing, and faxing.
- Highly proficient in all communication skills (phone, verbal and written).
- Ability to handle sensitive information and situations with poise and professionalism.
Organization Skills: Strong organizational, coordination and judgment skills.
- Ability to prioritize effectively.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively, following established protocols, and work within systems.
System Skills: Advanced computer skills. Ability to use all applicable applications at highest competency level.
- Ability to problem solves and troubleshoots. Ability to analyze a situation and determine best course of action within established guidelines.
- Advanced understanding and use of medical terminology.
- Advanced comprehension of billing and fiscal information.
- Knowledgeable and compliant with all hospital, State and Federal requirements (where applicable to job performance), including policy and procedures with The Joint Commission and HIPAA.
See Addendum A
HOSPITAL WIDE RESPONSIBILITIES: These are required of all staff, regardless of position. Do not remove these standards.
Works within legal, regulatory, accreditation and ethical practice standards relevant to the position and as established by BWH/Partners; follows safe practices required for the position; complies with appropriate BWH and Partners policies and procedures fulfills any training required by BWH and/or Partners, as appropriate; brings potential matters of non-compliance to the attention of the supervisor or other appropriate hospital staff.BWH Behavioral Competencies (required of all employees)
Focus on serving the community through collaboration and respect Inclusiveness Definition:
Maintain an environment where individuals value and respect differences in all situations. Stand firm against intolerance and bias to create a welcoming environment and respect all individuals regardless of race, gender identity, ethnicity, language, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental ability, religion, socio-economic status, or national origin. Work effectively with others who have diverse perspectives, talents, roles, backgrounds and/or stylesContribute to a positive team environment where differences are respected, supported and are free from stereotyping and offensive comments Be professional when approached about behaviors that might be perceived as disrespectful Open Communication Definition
: The ability to effectively articulate and receive information in a clear, concise and timely manner. Practice active listening skills Foster and maintain an environment that respects open dialogue, differences of opinion, as well as diverse communication styles Ensure that information is shared in a clear, accurate, and timely manner using the appropriate communication method for your audience Express oneself clearly and professionally in your verbal, non-verbal, written, and electronic communication Building Collaborative Relationships Definition:
Identifying opportunities and taking action to build relationships between one's area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve organizational goals. Take initiative to support others and build productive relationships that will lead to a cohesive workplace Interact effectively with other team members, departments, and customers to accomplish organizational goals Organizational Awareness Definition:
Understand how one's own work affects the organization as a whole and demonstrate a commitment to the organizational goals.Support and respect BWH's mission, vision, values and history Understand and recognize how your individual role and department impacts the organization 2. Self Management:
Accountability, professionalism and commitment to growth and development Embracing Change Definition
: Demonstrate adaptability and openness to organizational changes needed to improve effectiveness and goals. Support and positively participate in organizational and/or job specific changes Initiate appropriate action when change is needed Be flexible and open to new ideas Adapt to shifting priorities Learning Oriented Definition:
Predisposed to pursue learning opportunities even outside own comfort zone, one stays abreast of new tools and methods, rising to add value and build challenge in current assignments. Demonstrate openness to learning from successes and failures Recognize and participate in learning opportunities Seek and share best practices Professionalism Definition:
Practice respect for self and others; and adhere to BWH standards, policies, and procedures at all times. Adhere to BWH's Code of Conduct, Guide to Ethical Standards, policies, and procedures Align behavior with the organizational mission and values Practice respect in accordance to the BWH standards Demonstrate responsibility, reliability, and trustworthiness 3. Organization:
A commitment to quality, service and exceptional performance Quality and Safety Focus Definition
: Responsible for meeting standards of performance or outcomes in a safe manner while avoiding risks. Align job performance with quality and safety standards (e.g. The Joint Commission, BWH and department specific standards) Adhere to established policies and procedures Take action to prevent errors Identify and report adverse events, errors, and incidents Efficiency and Performance Improvement Definition:
Systematic approach to improve performance by eliminating waste, non-value-added activities and variability in processes.
a) Participate in process and performance improvement by identifying, analyzing, and enhancing existing processes to achieve better outcomes
b) Maximize available resources to achieve performance measures; reduce waste, rework, and work-arounds consistent with one's role Problem Solving Definition:
Able to gather appropriate data and diagnose the cause of the problem before taking action;
and if necessary, develop alternative courses of action.Recognize actual and potential problems and take appropriate action towards a solution Offer assistance, as needed, when a potential problem situation is observed Use good judgment to keep manager informed of problems or issues, following department practice Service Excellence Definition:
Focusing one's efforts towards anticipating, meeting and exceeding the expressed and
unexpressed needs or expectations of internal and external customers.
Apply service standards consistently to present a positive image of BWH to colleagues, health
providers, patients, families, and visitors: Engage with positive greetings and active listening Empathize by expressing understanding Educate throughout the information exchange Enlist thoughts and ideas from others 4. General/Administrative Support:
(required of all Administrative Support employees) Information Gathering Definition
: Identify and seek information needed to clarify a situation. Ask questions to discover the facts. Identify specific information needed to clarify a situation or to make a decision Probe skillfully to get at the factsQualifications QUALIFICATIONS:Level of education required:
Minimum of a high school diploma or GED. Work experience required
: Minimum three years medical office or administrative support experience required. Some additional training in office systems or other post high school education preferred.
Associate degree or higher-level education preferred, but not required.EEO Statement
BWH is an Affirmative Action Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.