The Infectious Diseases - Virology group at Moderna is seeking a self-motivated and adaptable Principal Research Associate with strong experience in tissue culture and in vitro assays to support the development of novel viral vaccines and therapeutics. This position will contribute to the Infectious Diseases (ID) therapeutic area through the performance and development of laboratory-based assays for both mechanistic and quantitative assessment of novel therapies. The candidate will support preclinical and clinical programs through the development and execution of virological and infectious disease assays, and interface with internal as well as external partners and collaborators. The individual will work with scientists within ID and other parts of the company to ensure the highest level of quality research.
Here's What You'll Do:
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Work closely with scientists to develop and execute assays related to vaccine development
- Culture diverse mammalian cell lines and primary cells
- Develop, optimize, and conduct assays relevant for measuring responses to therapeutic mRNA vaccines in pre-clinical studies
- Independently execute and troubleshoot in vitro assays, adapt new protocols into practice with little assistance, and query literature to incorporate additional assays as needed
- Maintain and qualify reagents, including relevant virus and cell stocks
- Execute assays, including virus neutralization and infection quantification assays
- Execute experiments to characterize antigens encoded by mRNA vaccine candidates
- Interpret, summarize experimental data, and maintain excellent laboratory notebooks
- Write SOPs
- Manage multiple experiments, projects, and interactions with supporting functions simultaneously
- Present experimental results at group meetings and project meetings
Moderna is pleased to provide you and your family with a comprehensive and innovative suite of benefits, including:
- B.S. with 5-8 years of relevant experience/MS with 2-5 years of relevant experience in virology, molecular biology, biochemistry, immunology, or related discipline (industry preferred)
- Extensive experience with cell and tissue culture using sterile technique is required
- Expertise in virus culture and characterization (e.g. TCID50, plaque assay, virus replication, virus neutralization, cell viability) is required
- Experience developing and optimizing assays independently
- Proficiency in molecular biology, PCR/qPCR, western blotting, and ELISA
- Attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and strong communication skills
- Excellent record keeping and data management skills, knowledge of data keeping records such as ELN preferred
- Experience with GraphPad Prism or similar is preferred
- Candidate will be curious in exploring new path for drug discovery, bold in proposing creative experimental designs and ideas. Will work collaboratively with multifunctional teams and will be relentless in pursuing successful outcomes
- Highly competitive and inclusive medical, dental and vision coverage options
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- Lifestyle Spending Account funds to help you engage in personal enrichment and self-care activities
- Family care benefits, including subsidized back-up care options and on-demand tutoring
- Free premium access to fitness, nutrition, and mindfulness classes
- Exclusive preferred pricing on Peloton fitness equipment
- Adoption and family-planning benefits
- Dedicated care coordination support for our LGBTQ+ community
- Generous paid time off, including:
• Vacation, sick time and holidays
• Volunteer time to participate within your community
• Discretionary year-end shutdown
• Paid sabbatical after 5 years; every 3 years thereafter
- Generous Paid Leave offerings, including 18 weeks of 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
- 401k match and Financial Planning tools
- Moderna-paid Life, LTD and STD insurance coverages, as well as voluntary benefit options
- Complimentary concierge service including home services research, travel booking, and entertainment requests
- Free parking or subsidized commuter passes
- Location-specific perks and extras!
In over 10 years since its inception, Moderna has transformed from a research-stage company advancing programs in the field of messenger RNA (mRNA), to an enterprise with a diverse clinical portfolio of vaccines and therapeutics across seven modalities, a broad intellectual property portfolio in areas including mRNA and lipid nanoparticle formulation, and an integrated manufacturing plant that allows for rapid clinical and commercial production at scale. Moderna maintains alliances with a broad range of domestic and overseas government and commercial collaborators, which has allowed for the pursuit of both groundbreaking science and rapid scaling of manufacturing. Most recently, Moderna's capabilities have come together to allow the authorized use and approval of one of the earliest and most effective vaccines against the COVID-19 pandemic.
Moderna's mRNA platform builds on continuous advances in basic and applied mRNA science, delivery technology and manufacturing, and has allowed the development of therapeutics and vaccines for infectious diseases, immuno-oncology, rare diseases, cardiovascular diseases and autoimmune diseases. Moderna has been named a top biopharmaceutical employer by Science for the past seven years. To learn more, visit www.modernatx.com.
Moderna is a smoke-free, alcohol-free and drug-free work environment.
Moderna is a place where everyone can grow. If you meet the Basic Qualifications for the role and you would be excited to contribute to our mission every day, please apply!
Moderna is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry or citizenship, ethnicity, disability, military or protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, or any other personal characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Belonging, Inclusion, and Diversity are critical to the success of our company and our impact on society. We're focused on attracting, retaining, developing, and advancing our employees and believe that by cultivating diverse experiences, backgrounds, and ideas, we can provide an environment where every employee is able to contribute their best.
Moderna is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to qualified job applicants with disabilities. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the Talent Acquisition Partner or contact the Accommodations team at firstname.lastname@example.org. (EEO/AAP Employer)
This job has expired.