12 Hr Morning - Evening
Northeast Georgia Health System is rooted in a foundation of improving the health of our communities.
About the Role:
A non-licensed, staff member who is trained to be flexible in a variety of nursing support and transport duties. Performs a variety of clinical tasks including, but not limited to nursing units, cleaning and stocking of patients rooms and other unit areas, and direct patient care within the scope of defined practice. Functions under the direct supervision of the shift primary nurse. Cares for patients in the adolescent, adult, and geriatric age groups. Performs clinical duties in accordance with population specific guidelines and adheres to National Patient Safety Goals as outlined in policy and procedures.
Minimum Job Qualifications
Preferred Job Qualifications
Licensure or other certifications: Current Georgia Certified Nursing Assistant or successful completion of Fundamentals of Nursing Course if a nursing student or CCHT certification (for dialysis unit only).
Educational Requirements: Reading, writing, and math skills at a 10th grade completion level or higher as evidenced by a High School Diploma, GED, or high school transcript showing completion of at least the sophomore level of high school.
Minimum Experience: On-the-job training; previous experience as Patient Care Tech desirable.
Job Specific and Unique Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Preferred Licensure or other certifications:
Preferred Educational Requirements:
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities
- Good interpersonal skills
- Physical ability to push/pull patients
- Adaptable in changing situation and work assignments
- Able to accept direction from professional nursing staff, and perform basic technical skills and procedures
- Bi-lingual basic language skills preferred
- Obtains and reports basic patient physiological data (such as vital signs, weight, skin condition, color, and character of urine and stool).
- Utilizes proper body mechanics, provides for positioning, mobility hygiene, ADL, and/or comfort needs according to procedure and direction.
- Monitors p.o. intake and urine output, recording amount on appropriate forms.
- Promptly identifies and reports physical and mental status changes to licensed staff assigned to the patient.
- Organizes patient care and sets appropriate priorities by implementing physician and nursing orders within prescribed time frames.
- Performs therapeutic procedures within the parameters of the job description; reporting patients response to supervising nurse.
- Makes frequent rounds to patients room in addition to responding without prompting to patient call lights, instituting appropriate actions.
- Orients patient/family/Significant other to unit & room. Greets patient & family in a positive pleasant manner with each encounter.
- Explains procedure or care to be provided to patient prior to start of procedure.
- Accurately & timely records patient data and forwards to supervisory staff within established time frames.
- Attains proficiency with all required IT systems to support the clinical staff & accurate documentation of patient care.
Answers the telephone in a polite and courteous manner. Screens and refers all calls appropriately to ensure accurate communication. Refers all calls to leave orders for patient care to licensed staff. Relays telephone, verbal, and written requests accurately to the appropriate individual (s).
- Places reports (ie:, x-ray, etc.) in patient's chart or insures reports are sent to appropriate units.
Contributes to patient safety by: Utilization of Universal Precautions for all patients and appropriate use of personal protective equipment. Careful adherence to NGHS Hand Hygiene policy. Providing a safe patient environment (i.e. call light within reach, side-rails up, etc.) Obtaining and restocking isolation supplies for patients on Infection Precautions. Completing and documenting equipment cleaning responsibilities as well as maintaining properly functioning equipment. Promptly reports equipment issues to charge nurse.
- Distributes linen and ice to patients as needed in addition to frequently offering refreshments as patient's diet permits.
- Replaces telemetry batteries as needed.
- Performs patient transport functions as needed by the unit.
- Cleans and restocks.
- Changes out sharps containers located in patient rooms when containers are two-thirds full.
- Replaces glove boxes and disinfectant wipes in patient rooms.
- Prepares room for new admissions. (make sure PPE is stocked, bed is turned down and any appropriate supplies or equipment is available for the incoming patient).
- Participates in staff meeting with no more than two absences per year.
- Reads and responds to e-mails in timely manner.
- Exhibits flexibility in scheduling to meet department staffing needs.
- Completes unit specific and annual competency assessment requirements within specific timelines.
Working at NGHS means being part of something special: a team invested in you as a person, an employee, and in helping you reach your goals. NGHS: Opportunities start here.
Weight Lifted: Up to 50 lbs, Frequently 31-65% of time
Weight Carried: Up to 20 lbs, Frequently 31-65% of time
Vision: Moderate, Frequently 31-65% of time
Kneeling/Stooping/Bending: Frequently 31-65%
Standing/Walking: Frequently 31-65%
Pushing/Pulling: Frequently 31-65%
Intensity of Work: Frequently 31-65%
Job Requires: Reading, Writing, Reasoning, Talking, Keyboarding
Northeast Georgia Health System is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not tolerate discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected classification or status.