We are a large unified department with strong undergraduate degrees, nationally-ranked graduate programs, and world-class research spanning the breadth of biological questions and experimental systems - from ecosystems to microbiology and developmental biology, from evolution to cell biology, from molecular biology to systems biology, bioinformatics, and genomics. This is an exciting time for Biology - enormous advances in global genome analysis coupled with unprecedented developments in interdisciplinary research have made the 21st century the Century of Biology. We invite you to join us in these exciting times.
The Department of Biology is part of The College of Arts + Sciences, the oldest and largest academic division of Indiana University. We are committed to diversity and inclusion. Check out our initiatives at college.indiana.edu.
This position is a Research Technician in the Tracey Lab. This is an excellent opportunity for recently graduated (or soon to graduate) undergraduate students who wish to get research experience before applying to graduate school. Each of the technicians in the Tracey lab has successfully transitioned to PhD programs after 2-3 years in this role.
- Maintains Drosophila (fruit fly) stocks, monitor health of stock.
- Determines cause of unhealthy stock and administers proper care procedures accordingly. Master genetic characteristics of each strain.
- Monitors and remembers culture conditions from one generation of stock to the next.
- Maintains records of stock maintenance.
- Orders supplies for the laboratory.
- Prepares bacteriology plates, prepares stock solutions.
- Some college with coursework in biology or related field
- Bachelor's degree in Biology
Working Conditions / Demands
- Ability to follow written instructions and keep accurate records
- Responsible and attentive to detail
- Good organizational skills
- Demonstrated decision making skills necessary since this position operates under very limited supervision
- Demonstrates good judgment
Must be able to remain stationary for extended periods of time with upper part of the body positioned forward over microscope eye tubes. Repetitive work with the hands to manipulate stock vials. Moving stock trays (less than 10 pounds) and discard trays (more than 10 pounds) each day.Work Location
Bloomington, IndianaAdvertised Salary
$13.00 - $16.00 per hour depending on experienceWork Hours
Part-time with hours capped at 29 per week.Benefits Overview
For full-time staff employees, Indiana University offers a wide array of benefits including:
- Multiple plan options for medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Health Savings Account with generous IU contribution
- Life insurance, LTD, and AD&D options
- Base retirement plan contribution from IU, subject to vesting
- Additional supplemental retirement plan options
- Tuition benefit for IU classes
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Learn more about our benefits by reviewing our online Benefits Brochure.Job Classification
Career Level: Part Time Employee
Job Function: Part Time Employee
Job Family: Part Time Employee
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.Posting Disclaimer
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.New employees will be provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on individual qualifications. Indiana University prohibits discrimination based on age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at email@example.com or by visiting IUPD.Contact Us
This job has expired.