This position is primarily responsible for customer service registering patients/clients, guiding them through the clinic appointment, and appropriately documenting the clinical visit following established medical record management practices. The Administrative Assistant serves as the primary point of contact for internal and external constituencies at the Student Health Center. Administrative responsibilities include, but are not limited to: appointment scheduling and correspondence, medical record-keeping, data collection and reporting, and providing administrative support to clinical staff and special projects as needed.
Patient Registration & Appointment Scheduling:
- Serves as the first point of contact for students seeking services at Student Health Center, as well as parents, campus, and community partners.
- Advocates for awareness, understanding and the diversity and inclusion of all people in Health & Well-being facilities, programs and communications while providing a commitment to work effectively with students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds. Advocates for the educational and cultural benefits of providing diversity and inclusion in the Health & Well-being Unit.
- Processes students during clinic check-in and check-out.
- Greets visitors, screens calls and emails, takes messages, and takes any necessary/appropriate action to serve patients.
- Assists students with any required intake forms or assessment.
- Reviews intake information and escalates care as needed based on student response and/or behavior
- Promotes patient rights and responsibilities; understands and supports patient advocacy.
- Maintains confidentiality as required by medical standards
- Communicates with clinical staff and students as needed to successfully schedule appointments based on established parameters. Utilizes specialized software and EHR to schedule patient appointments at Student Health Center.
- Coordinates internal (to CAPS) and external referrals to support integrated care.
- Communicates with Assistant Director, Operations as needed to resolve any scheduling challenges.
- Assists with running designated reports and analyzing data to evaluate clinic schedules and patient appointments, and other key performance indicators.
Medical Records (paper and electronic):
- Manages students' protected health information (Medical Records) in compliance with Virginia State law.
- Ensures adherence to established medical record management practices; maintains compliance with HIPAA and FERPA.
- Prepares student medical record for clinical visit.
- Processes Health History Records for new, transfer, and re-admitted students to include immunization compliance and documentation of health information.
- Assists with scanning documents and correspondence with external medical offices as needed.
- Performs opening and closing procedures for Student Health Center.
- Utilizes a multi-line phone system, department email accounts, fax, copiers, printers and scanners as modes of communication in the clinical setting; assists with troubleshooting technology, communicating with the Assistant Director, Operations as needed to resolve issues.
- Communicates with students, parents, and staff via email and phone.
- Processes and distributes department mail and faxes; monitors departmental email and responds or forwards to appropriate staff.
- Assists with special projects and provides administrative support for staff as assigned by the Assistant Director, Operations.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to compassionately and calmly interact with individuals who are distressed. Communicates in a welcoming, caring, and empathetic manner.
- Ability to maintain composure and professionalism even under highly stressful conditions, including students experiencing mental health distress
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while and re-prioritizing tasks on short notice
- Ability to work independently, efficiently, and accurately
- Ability to read, interpret, and apply policies and procedures
- Technical competency with electronic health records, Microsoft Office Suite, Box, Banner, Audix, and Internet-based tools
- Ability to learn and become proficient in specialized software used in Student Health Center and CAPS locations
- Mental Health First Aid Certification required within 1st year of hire
- Ability to attend annual trainings and medical screenings required for assignment in a medical clinic
- Knowledge of HIPAA and FERPA standards applicable to duties and responsibilities. Ability to maintain patient/client confidentiality.
- Associate degree required; bachelor's preferred.
- 2-4 years of experience in the health care industry preferred, including experience with medical terminology and software
- 3-5 years of customer service - preference given to patient experience
- 3-5 years of record-keeping preferred
- Training and supervision experience preferred
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at University of Richmond
- Part-time, non-exempt position, less than 1,000 hours per year
- Monday - Friday, 8:15 a.m. - 1:15 p.m. during the academic year. Reduced schedule during breaks/holidays and summer. Flexibility with schedule is preferred
Pay Grade 3 (Hiring Range $16.37 to $19.24 per hour) ABOUT UR
At the University of Richmond, we're creative, inclusive, and determined. We're Spiders, and our mission is to create positive change in the UR community and beyond. Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond (www.richmond.edu) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. There's only one place like Richmond.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE
This job has expired.