Grader/Sorters are primarily responsible for grading and sorting incoming metal products according to factors such as appearance and quality to ensure correct processing and usage. Other responsibilities include general yard cleanup and other maintenance functions.
This is a physical job, so applicants must be able to frequently walk on uneven ground, handle and grasp materials, crouch, bend, reach, climb, twist, push, pull and lift/carry up to 50 pounds occasionally. Visual acuity is needed for close detail work. To ensure safety everyone’s safety at work, applicants must be able to hear and communicate by speech.
Environmental and Health & Safety (H&S)
- Strictly adheres to all Metals Recycling Business Health, Safety, and Environmental standards.
- Provides a safe environment for all employees, customers and visitors.
Operational Performance & Best Business Practices
- General clean up and yard maintenance including but not limited to digging, sweeping, maintenance of weeds and brush, and repaid of blacktop.
- Basic sorting of scrap, as well as metal and debris in preparation processing.
- Greasing and general cleanup at the shear and/or shredder.
- Assist with repairs and maintenance as required at railroad.
- Provide backup or assistance throughout the yard as needed or assigned.
- Report all equipment deficiencies or malfunctions for maintenance or repair to the proper supervisor.
PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
- Candidates must have the ability to carry out instructions provided in written, oral, or diagrammatic form.
- Ability to speak and understand English as a basic level required.
- Ability to learn new tasks as assigned required.
- Experience in a scrap yard preferred.
- This position requires possession of a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive an automobile.
All U.S. applicants must be 18 years of age or older and all Canada applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. participates in e-verify for all U.S. new hires.
An offer of U.S. employment by Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. or any of its subsidiaries is contingent on the satisfactory completion of a post-offer drug screen and background check.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, marital status, disability status, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, age, prior industrial injury, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected status under local, state or federal law.
This job has expired.