Here at AstraZeneca our team in US Oncology Medical Affairs changes the practice of medicine and improves the patient experience by generating and communicating compelling medical evidence. We have the opportunity to impact every point in the patient journey and reach beyond the interventions that AstraZeneca can influence. By partnering with experts we gather information and influence across the whole experience. It's by communicating and developing innovative scientific evidence that we can truly transform how patients living with cancer are treated.
A Medical Lead, GI - US Medical Affairs in US Medical Affairs is a board-certified physician or PhD who has a history of clinical practice or significant industry experience in the Oncology therapeutic area. The Medical Director/Sr Med Dir is knowledgeable of the actions of regulatory bodies and has experience in all aspects of clinical trials. The ideal candidate should have significant experience in their medical specialty and would thrive on proactively engaging internal and external leaders and will serve as a medical expert for their compound (s) and disease area. They will also have strong commercial aptitude and/or experience, including proven ability to translate and appropriately align commercial and scientific goals and objectives. They will have solid peer relationships with external scientific and clinical experts in Oncology.
The Medical Lead, GI - US Medical Affairs is responsible to lead the Core Medical Team (CMT). The Medical Director is knowledgeable of the actions of regulatory bodies, in particular FDA, and has experience in clinical trials. An ideal candidate should have significant experience in Oncology and would thrive on proactively engaging internal and external leaders. S/he is accountable for the development and execution of the evidence generation strategy. In addition, an ideal Medical Affairs Medical Director will have strong commercial aptitude and/or experience, including proven ability to translate and align commercial and scientific goals and objectives.
Minimum Requirements -Education and Experience
- All activities of study team physicians for US local trials including design of trials, medical oversight of trial conduct, data interpretation as appropriate and execution of compassionate use approaches.
- Ascertaining the medical accuracy and fair balance of medical information in promotional material and learning materials for both internal and external use
- Lead the Medical Evidence generation strategy of Core Medical Team (CMT).
- Interact with leaders of groups identified as strategic partners, including both payer and provider groups.
- Interact with leaders in the therapy area (external experts, Academic Institutions, and Prof Societies).
- Play an integral role in the planning and participation of national and regional medical advisory boards.
- Play an integral role in the planning and providing of training for external medical/scientific speakers.
- Provide clinical education and training for internal stakeholders such as regional scientific managers and members of product sales teams.
- Develop the medical Externally Sponsored Scientific Research program to align with strategy.
- Maintain key links into global brand clinical activities by maintaining collaborative working relationship with Oncology medical physicians
- Supply medical input into safety profile of the product in collaboration with Patient Safety (PS) physicians
- Work with commercial brand teams to provide scientific and clinical expertise/input into strategic and tactical decisions in support of AstraZeneca products acting as medical expert for disease area.
- Work closely with our Medical Science Liaisons (MSL) and National Clinical Account Managers to appropriately support key accounts.
- Supply medical insight into promotional material along with learning materials for internal and external use
- Work closely with Global Medical Alignment Leader (GMAL) to ensure US strategy is aligned with global.
- Graduate of an accredited medical school and recipient of M.D., D.O. or equivalent Ph.D. degree
- Board certification/eligibility preferred in internal medicine or a related relevant specialty, Oncology preferred.
- Background in practicing medicine, clinical research, and familiarity with biostatistics, epidemiology and health outcomes preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication, interpersonal, and organization skills.
- High level of emotional intelligence.
- Strong business acumen, including working knowledge of changing U.S. payer and provider landscape.
- Proven ability to interact productively with both commercial and scientific colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams.
- Familiarity with OPDP, PhRMA code, and key regulations in the pharmaceutical industry
- Highest level of ethics and integrity.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally. Travel will be up to ~30% of time
Skills and Capabilities:
- 5 years of Pharmaceutical Industry experience
- Additional training such as an M.P.H., M.B.A. or another advanced degree.
- Knowledge of relevant Professional Societies and Scientific Medical Experts.
- Experience with pharmaceutical drug development and Medical/Scientific Affairs
Next Steps - Apply today!
- Passion for patient outcomes and knowledge of patient care and treatment
- Leadership Capabilities at a senior leader level with strong organizational skills
- Strong leadership with proven track record of change and impact
- Proven ability to engage and influence senior stakeholders
- Versatile communication skills
- Demonstrated coaching and mentoring experience
- Presentation and negotiation skills
- Team and Cross-functional working - demonstrating commitment, influencing, challenge and support.
- Strong analytical skill set
- Demonstrated strategic agility - Ability to anticipate and shape future based on market, business and industry trends.
- High ethical standards
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.Why AstraZeneca?
Where can I find out more? Our Social Media
- At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, pioneering innovative methods, and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
- Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you!
Follow AstraZeneca on:
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en