The Facilities Management unit of the Division of Facilities and Services is seeking applications for a Landscape Worker position. Under the direction of the Supervisor and/or Lead, this position will maintain and care for the exterior appearance of institutional buildings, lawns, plantings and grounds surrounding the campus. This work involves adhering to established standard procedures, techniques and safety requirements with some judgment required to interpret instructions.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
- 15 annual leave (vacation) days per year or more based on years of service (employee leave)
- 18 sick days per year
(for when you’re ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family’s, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ’s.
- Wellness programs
What you'll do:
- Mow, seed, and aerate lawns and turf; trim and edge as needed; water lawns, shrubs and ornamental gardens; remove and dispose of debris throughout grounds area.
- Take care of plants, shrubs and flowers located throughout campus, including preparing grounds and beds for planting and seeding, taking soil samples, reporting pest problems hauling and spreading topsoil and other additives, planting ornamentals, flowers, shrubs and trees, and trimming and pruning landscaping.
- Interpret blueprints or follows verbal and written instructions in performing skilled landscape maintenance and construction.
- Operate, service and maintain all grounds maintenance equipment such as trucks, tractors, large seeders, riding mowers, snow removal equipment, skid loaders, end loaders and tiltbed trucks.
- Operate, service and maintain hand tools, power tools and equipment such as weedeaters, lawnmowers, roto-tillers, chain saws, fertilizer spreaders, small seeders, sod cutters, walk-behind sweepers, vacs and turf renovators.
- Assist in the planting, staking and removal of trees as needed.
- Set up plant material for use at Special Events.
- Remove snow and spread de-icers on on all public passageways by means of hand tools, power brooms, tractors and trucks.
- Must be able to respond to emergency situations on all occasions and must be available for telephone contact during all emergency and environmentally unsafe conditions.
The Division of Facilities and Services encompasses two units that are integral to the University’s success. Our units employ talented and skilled workers whose jobs range from maintaining, protecting and improving the University’s buildings and grounds. Facilities and Services takes care of every aspect of WVU so that its employees, students and guests are safe and satisfied on campus. Work Hours:
6:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.; days vary Pay Grade:
10, WVU provides competitive wages for its employees, and takes experience and related education into consideration when determining appropriate salaryQualifications
- High School diploma, GED, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least one (1) year of work experience in areas such as: heavy equipment operation, farm operations and equipment use, highway maintenance, building construction, public works, and park maintenance.
- Experience in grounds maintenance and lawn care within a commercial and/or residential environment is preferred.
This job has expired.
- Valid driver's license
- Physical requirements include:
- Lifting at least 50 pounds
- Ability to work on feet for extended periods
- Climbing, stooping, bending and working from ladders
- Working in confined spaces
- Employee must use landscape construction and maintenance equipment on steep slopes and in close proximity to students, faculty, staff and buildings on campus
- Must have excellent eye to hand coordination