The position is intended for individuals with prior experience working as a histotechnologist and possesses ASCP certification in Histotechnology. The individual in this position will perform all routine histopathology functions, as well as handle some more complex tasks. The individual will work under limited supervision, provide guidance to technical staff and may lead some projects.
- Performs routine and non-routine activities involved in the preparation of slides for microscopic evaluation by pathologist(s), according to policies and procedures.
- Capable of performing all of the duties/responsibilities of a Histotechnologist I.
- May perform gross tissue examination (high complexity testing) if meets personnel qualifications set forth by the 1988 CLIA CFR 493.1489 and the corporate Minimum Qualifications for Non-Pathologist Performing Gross Tissue Examinations SOP.
- Prepare solutions and reagents for special stain procedures.
- Obtain and validate control tissue used in special stains.
- Perform all special stain procedures.
- May prepare solutions and reagents for IHC procedures.
- May obtain and validate control material used in IHC procedures.
- May perform IHC testing.
- Provide training and guidance to Histotechnicians/Histotechnologists, students and lab aides.
- Perform specimen preparation on non-gynecological specimens, including cytopreparation, staining, coverslipping, etc. after completing training on non-gynecological specimen types. This includes specimen preparation of Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA) specimens
- Adhere to laboratory's quality control policies, and documents all quality control activities; has the ability to recognize outliers and correct them.
- Differentiate acceptable and unacceptable processing, embedding, cutting and staining of tissue specimens.
- May be required to develop, execute, or validate new procedures.
- Capable of identifying problems that may affect test performance or reporting of test results and resolve or immediately report to histology supervisor/manager, technical supervisor or director.
- Capable of completing daily, routine histology functions without supervision.
- Ensure all corporate safety, quality control and quality assurance standards are met.
- Ensure compliance with all local, federal, CLIA and CAP regulations.
- Maintain a clean and well-organized work area.
- Other duties, as assigned by supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
- AS degree or equivalent training and experience
- HT (ASCP)
- 3 years Histology experience
- Current state licensure, if applicable
- Meets all requirements as outlined in corporate Policy for Minimum Qualifications for Histotechnician and Histology Supervisor.
- If performing Immunohistochemistry testing, meet all requirements as outlined in corporate Minimum Qualifications for Personnel Performing Immunohistochemistry Testing SOP.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- BS degree
- HTL (ASCP)
- Graduate of a NAACLS accredited Histotechnology program
- 6 years of histopathology experience
- Immunohistochemistry experience
- The normal performance of duties may require lifting and carrying objects: Objects 1 to 10 pounds are lifted and carried frequently; objects 11 to 25 pounds are lifted and carried occasionally; objects 36 to 50 pounds are seldom lifted or carried and objects over 50 pounds are not to be lifted or carried without assistance.
- Ability to stand and work at the bench for long periods of time.
- Frequent walking and/or standing.
- May be required to use a wide variety of manual tools and laboratory instruments and apparatuses all of whichdemand significant manual dexterity
Current state licensure, if applicable(Required)
HT (ASCP) (Required)
NAACLS accredited Histotechnology program