The position is intended for individuals with prior experience working as a histotechnician to perform technical functions within the histopathology laboratory. The individual will work under the general supervision of experienced histotechnologists.
- Under general supervision and according to policies and procedures, performs routine and non-routine activities involved in the preparation of slides, for microscopic evaluation by pathologist(s)
- Capable of performing all of the duties/responsibilities of a Histotechnician I.
- Prepare solutions and reagents for special stain procedures.
- Perform special stain procedures.
- Perform limited QA/QC functions and identify issues requiring troubleshooting.
- Train and perform limited immunohistochemistry staining under the general supervision of a qualified histotechnologist, technical supervisor or other qualified pathologist.
- Prepare immunohistochemistry solutions and reagents for IHC procedures under the direct supervision of a qualified histotechnologist, technical supervisor or other qualified pathologist.
- Perform specimen preparation on non-gynecological specimens, including cytopreparation, staining, coverslipping, etc. after completing training on non-gynecological specimen types. This includes specimen preparation of Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA) specimens
- Perform routine maintenance and cleaning of equipment and troubleshoot minor equipment failures. Document remedial actions such as repairs and repeated tests.
- Adhere to laboratory's quality control policies, and document all quality control activities.
- Ensure all corporate safety, quality control and quality assurance standards are met.
- Ensure compliance with all local, federal, CLIA and CAP regulations.
- Maintain a clean and well-organized work area.
- Other duties, as assigned by supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
- A.S. degree and one year of experience within the last 10 years, OR H.S. education or
- equivalent and 5 year's full-time acceptable experience as a Histotechnician within the last 10 years.
- ASCP eligible OR five years of full-time experience in the last 10 years
- Current state licensure, if applicable
- Meets all requirements as outlined in corporate Policy for Minimum Qualifications for Histotechnician and Histology Supervisor.
- If performing Immunohistochemistry testing, meet all requirements as outlined in corporate Minimum Qualifications for Personnel Performing Immunohistochemistry Testing SOP.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- HT (ASCP)
- Graduate of a NAACLS accredited Histotechnology program
- 2 years of histopathology experience
- The normal performance of duties may require lifting and carrying objects: Objects 1 to 10 pounds are lifted and carried frequently; objects 11 to 25 pounds are lifted and carried occasionally; objects 36 to 50 pounds are seldom lifted or carried and objects over 50 pounds are not to be lifted or carried without assistance.
- Ability to stand and work at the bench for long periods of time.
- Frequent walking and/or standing.
- May be required to use a wide variety of manual tools and laboratory instruments and apparatuses all of whichdemand significant manual dexterity
High School Diploma or Equivalent(Required)LICENSE & CERTIFICATIONS
Current state licensure, if applicable(Required)
NAACLS accredited Histotechnology program