Histotechnician II - Knoxville, TN - Monday-Friday (Rotational Saturday)
The position is intended for individuals with prior experience working as a histotechnician to perform technical functions within the histopathology laboratory. The individual will work under the general supervision of experienced histotechnologists.
- Under general supervision and according to policies and procedures, performs routine and non-routine activities involved in the preparation of slides, for microscopic evaluation by pathologist(s)
- Capable of performing all of the duties/responsibilities of a Histotechnician I.
- Prepare solutions and reagents for special stain procedures.
- Perform special stain procedures.
- Perform limited QA/QC functions and identify issues requiring troubleshooting.
- Train and perform limited immunohistochemistry staining under the general supervision of a qualified histotechnologist, technical supervisor or other qualified pathologist.
- Prepare immunohistochemistry solutions and reagents for IHC procedures under the direct supervision of a qualified histotechnologist, technical supervisor or other qualified pathologist.
- Perform specimen preparation on non-gynecological specimens, including cytopreparation, staining, coverslipping, etc. after completing training on non-gynecological specimen types. This includes specimen preparation of Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA) specimens
- Perform routine maintenance and cleaning of equipment and troubleshoot minor equipment failures. Document remedial actions such as repairs and repeated tests.
- Adhere to laboratory's quality control policies, and document all quality control activities.
- Ensure all corporate safety, quality control and quality assurance standards are met.
- Ensure compliance with all local, federal, CLIA and CAP regulations.
- Maintain a clean and well-organized work area.
- Other duties, as assigned by supervisor.
QUALIFICATIONS Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
- A.S. degree and one year of experience within the last 10 years, OR H.S. education or
- equivalent and 5 year's full-time acceptable experience as a Histotechnician within the last 10 years.
- ASCP eligible OR five years of full-time experience in the last 10 years
- Current state licensure, if applicable
- Meets all requirements as outlined in corporate Policy for Minimum Qualifications for Histotechnician and Histology Supervisor.
- If performing Immunohistochemistry testing, meet all requirements as outlined in corporate Minimum Qualifications for Personnel Performing Immunohistochemistry Testing SOP.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- HT (ASCP)
- Graduate of a NAACLS accredited Histotechnology program
- 2 years of histopathology experience
- The normal performance of duties may require lifting and carrying objects: Objects 1 to 10 pounds are lifted and carried frequently; objects 11 to 25 pounds are lifted and carried occasionally; objects 36 to 50 pounds are seldom lifted or carried and objects over 50 pounds are not to be lifted or carried without assistance.
- Ability to stand and work at the bench for long periods of time.
- Frequent walking and/or standing.
- May be required to use a wide variety of manual tools and laboratory instruments and apparatuses all of whichdemand significant manual dexterity
High School Diploma or Equivalent(Required)
Current state licensure, if applicable(Required)
NAACLS accredited Histotechnology program
This job has expired.