IUPUI SCHOOL OF SCIENCE (IN-SCI-IUINA)
- Ensures proposal review, submission, financial monitoring and closeout of sponsored projects; reviews, analyzes, and interprets external sponsor's submission guidelines; creates budgets and completes administrative forms on behalf of faculty, staff, and researchers as needed.
- Advises, mentors, and assists in the development and submission of grant proposals and explains complex issues to the staff and faculty investigators.
- Provides review, approval and advice about proposal materials; investigates and answers questions from sponsors, researchers, fiscal officers, research administrators and others.
- Counsels researchers and staff on the preparation of budgets, completion of certifications, and institutional information to ensure compliance with university policies, federal regulations, and sponsor guidelines; initiates action to resolve problems when necessary.
- Assists faculty and staff in identifying documents or forms needed in connection with pending or funded projects; follows up on all correspondence to ensure that appropriate action is taken or information provided.
- Monitors expenditure transactions on sponsored project accounts for allowability, allocability, reasonableness, and financial compliance with university, state, federal, and sponsor requirements, and allows or disallows the transactions accordingly; advises and mentors other staff members in regards to complex financial transaction issues.
- Provides experienced guidance to the faculty and departmental administrators on allowable expenditures and relevant federal and sponsor guidelines.
- Escalates questions as needed to ensure efficient completion of tasks; ensures timely and efficient flow of information and file management in connection with proposals, award and other types of agreements, and sponsored project accounts.
- Utilizes various internal and external systems (such as Kuali, FastLane, ASSIST, NIH Commons and Grants.Gov) extensively for proposal submissions, project changes, and account monitoring.
- Evaluates existing policies, researches and proposes new procedures and tools, and collaborates to identify best practices and approaches; reviews and makes recommendations to improve compliance policies and procedures necessary for all aspects of research administration; interprets and applies dynamic sponsor rules and guidelines; builds and maintains reference manuals and other critical documentation.
- May mentor less experienced staff, conduct regular training and educational sessions, and provide guidance to team members, staff and faculty on federal, state and university policies, particularly with seemingly conflicting or vague policies and regulations.
- Attends and participates in various professional development opportunities, including seminars, webinars, workshops, and conferences organized by external sponsors and/or professional organizations; attends and participates in training opportunities; designs, develops, and conducts training programs, materials, workshops and other activities to a wide university audience as new information becomes available or new policies and procedures are implemented.
- Represents university to external sponsors by responding to questions and resolving concerns in relation to proposal submissions or award documents.
- Bachelor's degree (preferably in related field)
Combinations of related education and experience may be considered
- 2 years of experience preparing and submitting grant proposals in a similar role at a university or hospital system OR
- 3 years experience with grants and awards administration or university or research policy/procedure.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATESPreferred
- Certified Research Administrator (CRA) certification upon date of hire
Working Conditions / Demands
- Proficient communication skills
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism
- Demonstrates time management and priority setting skills
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality
- Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Seeks to acquire knowledge in area of specialty
- Highly thorough and dependable
- Demonstrates a high level of accuracy, even under pressure
- Strong proficiency in university policies and/or complex proposal terms and conditions.
This role requires the ability to effectively communicate and to operate a computer and other standard office productivity equipment. The position involves sedentary work as well as periods of time moving around an office environment and the campus. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.Benefits Overview
For full-time staff employees, Indiana University offers a wide array of benefits including:
- Multiple plan options for medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Health Savings Account with generous IU contribution
- Life insurance, LTD, and AD&D options
- Base retirement plan contribution from IU, subject to vesting
- Additional supplemental retirement plan options
- Tuition benefit for IU classes
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Learn more about our benefits by reviewing our online Benefits Brochure.Job Classification
Career Level: Career
Job Function: Research
Job Family: Research Administration
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.Posting Disclaimer
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.New employees will be provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on individual qualifications. Indiana University prohibits discrimination based on age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting IUPD.Contact Us
This job has expired.