GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT: .
The Fitness Instructor is the leader in the Fitness Center. The Instructor provides quality customer service, guidance, motivation,and supervision to all members and their guests with their fitnessprograms. The Fitness Instructor alsoprovides new members with orienting them to the facility by developing anexercise program to fit their needs, and following up with them, and giveencouragement when needed.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities include butare not limited to:
- Must clock in on time to work scheduled shifts wearing staff uniform.
- Evaluates member medical history questionnairesto determine appropriate individual exercise programs.
- Plans and implements standard and individualizedexercise programs.
- Determines format and content of programs basedon assessed member's abilities and fitness goals.
- Monitors all members and guests usage ofcardiovascular and resistance training equipment, (walks the fitness floor frequentlyduring shifts).
- Advise members on exercise and nutrition.
- Enforce club policies and procedures.
- Contact and schedule new member trainingsessions and develop report by the end of each week.
- Follow-up and communication with members.
- Tracks member's progress and maintains accuratemember's files.
- Ensures member adherence to safety and injuryprevention policies and procedures; prepares incident reports as required.
- Be informed of the latest trends in health,nutrition, fitness, and exercise.
- Performs indoor pool testing and assists in pooland Jacuzzi maintenance, (6am, noon, 5pm, 9:30pm).
- Gives club tours to prospective members andguests.
- Be knowledgeable of membership pricing.
- Promotes personal training, special programs,and group exercise.
- Maintains a clean fitness floor, (picks up cups,towels, magazines, keeps equipmentorderly).
- Records, interaction with members, # toursgiven, member orientations, safety concerns, equipment problems, in the shiftlog book.
- Responsible for either leading a monthly workshopduring a floor shift.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assignedby the Manager.
Revised 4/2000 Qualifications QUALIFICATIONS:
Accredited certification with NASM.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Must have a minimum of one year experience.
- Must be customer service oriented.
- Team player.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be professional and outgoing.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills and be able to motivate and work with a diverse group of people.
- Skill in the use of computers, preferably in a PC, Windows-based operating environment.
- Knowledge of strength and cardiovascular training and provide education method on how to present techniques.
- Knowledge of exercise physiology.
- Skill in developing comprehensive fitness and exercise programs.
- Skill in Fitness Assessments including blood pressure and heart rate.
Work is performed in a fast paced health club environment.SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY
The Fitness Instructor is responsible to supervise all the members and their guests in the club while on duty.EEO Statement
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.