Fire Department Liaison (Contract) - Fire Service Institute
Illinois Fire Service Institute
The University of Illinois is a world leader in research, teaching, and public engagement. We serve the state, the nation, and the world by creating knowledge, preparing students for lives of impact, and addressing critical societal needs through the transfer and application of knowledge. As the statutory fire academy for Illinois, the Illinois Fire Service Institute (IFSI) serves firefighters throughout Illinois and the world. World-class instructors deliver more than 14,000 class hours to students online, on campus and at regional training centers throughout the state. IFSI is operated as a continuing education and public service activity by the University of Illinois.
PRIMARY POSITION FUNCTION/SUMMARY:
Illinois Department of Natural Resources (DNR) - Forestry is partnering with the Illinois Fire Service Institute (IFSI), to hire a Fire Department Liaison to assist the Illinois DNR Forestry - Fire Program with outreach, Volunteer Fire Assistance (VFA) grants, and fire reporting for rural fire departments to ensure readiness and fire control.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as a point of contact for the IDNR Fire Program and respond to fire department inquiries in timely manner by phone and email. Maintain a database of contacts.
- Provide outreach to IL fire departments regarding IL DNR grant funding and assistance.
- Coordinate with the DNR Fire Program Manager, Grants Administrator, and Federal Excess Property Program Coordinator to ensure that departments are connected with the right person for assistance.
- Prepare VFA grant announcement documents. Distribute and advertise grant announcements to fire departments. Serve as a point of contact for the VFA grant application and grading process. Collect grant application documents .
- Attend training and understand grant policies and procedures. Understand the IL Grant Accountability and Transparency Act and learn to use Amplifund grant management software.
- Provide assistance to fire departments and the IL DNR in reporting wildland and brush fires in the Wildland Fire Report Database to ensure eligibility for VFA grants and the FEPP Program. Maintain the Wildland Fire Reporting Database, generate reports, and enter data.
- Assist with distribution of outreach and education materials for communities, citizens, and students regarding fire prevention.
- Assist Federal Excess Program Coordinator with inventory and distribution of equipment.
- Maintain supplies for a fire supply cache at the Springfield office.
- Support the VFA training program run by the IL Fire Service Institute by promoting and providing information to departments about training opportunities.
- Assist with tracking VFA grant payments, reimbursements, and progress.
- Assist with completing grant narratives and reporting.
- Assist with prescribed fire management and tracking.
- Bachelor's degree.
- A total of one (1) year (12 months) in education, training, and/or work experience in the area of specialization inherent to the position. (Note: Master's Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1) year of work experience.)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Experience entering information into a database program.
- Ability to use Arc Pro or Arc GIS Online mapping software.
- The ability to work independently.
- The ability to report to and work in an office 3 days per week.
- The ability to work remote 2 days per week, if desired.
- The ability to travel to perform job related duties, within the State of Illinois (estimated 5%).
- Organizational, fiduciary, and planning skills for VFA fund distribution and tracking.
- Knowledge of basic mechanical repairs to make federal excess property operational for rural fire departments.
- Preparing reports of annual VFA fund balances, requests for services, surplus/deficit projections, and consolidates annual equipment requests.
- Knowledge and ability to use automated databases, word processing programs, excel, and other programs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Attention to detail, a team mentality, a positive attitude, ability to be flexible.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with fire department staff, federal officials, and Illinois DNR staff.
- Experience using technology including computers, word, database management, excel/spreadsheets, access, adobe, email, and online programs.
This is a 100% full-time Civil Service Program Coordinator position, appointed on contract funding with the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. The expected start date is as soon as possible after March 1, 2023. Salary is commensurate with experience.
For more information on Civil Service classifications, please visit the SUCSS web site at https://www.sucss.illinois.gov/pages/classspec/default.aspx . Application Procedures & Deadline Information
Applications must be received by 6:00 pm (CST) on February 13, 2023. Apply for this position using the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this posting. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position. Applications not submitted through https://jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, please contact Keri Frederick, firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify .
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal , or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing email@example.com .Requisition ID
: 1014583 Job Category
: Administrative Apply at: