The Stockpiling Lead reports to the Stockpiling Supervisor. The Stockpiling Lead assists in the monitoring, coordination, and execution of activities pertinent to processing operations, product shipping and profit maximization associated with general and industrial ferrous operations, while ensuring that all of his/her efforts are compliant with the company Health, Safety, and Environmental standards. Duties may include communication with supervisory staff, inventory management, adherence to quality standards and guidelines, and observance of safety and environmental policies. The Stockpiling Lead should possess knowledge of machines and tools including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance, as well as knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, and techniques for maximizing operational efficiency.
This position operates under flexible parameters. The primary goal of this position is to achieve excellence in all facets of the position. Providing the highest quality product safely, effectively and efficiently decreases accidents and errors and increase profits.
- Environmental and Health & Safety (H&S)
- Strictly adheres to all Metals Recycling Business Health, Safety, and Environmental standards.
- Ensures safe work practices and equipment are used at all times and that documentation, inspections, and current practices are in accordance with corporate safety policies, OSHA, and other regulatory guidelines.
- Provides a safe environment for all employees, customers and visitors.
- Operational Performance & Best Business Practices
- Coordinates equipment and personnel as scheduled by the Stockpiling Supervisor to support daily operations, including positioning for material processing and loading of scrap.
- Maintains layout plan for all physical spaces assigned to processing and shipping. Identifies work in progress and finished goods storage bins, as well as equipment process locations to ensure a proper work flow is achieved.
- Evaluates incoming material ensuring adherence to inventory quantity and product quality guidelines.
- Validates that material purchased over the scale and associated scale tickets are accurate with the actual material purchased.
- Monitors storage containers, verifying that bins display the “tare” weight as well as last date emptied.
- Adheres to established material pricing, grading, processing, sales, and shipment pertinent to ferrous operations.
- Monitors movement of truck fleet, coordination of pick-ups, and inter-company transfers.
- Submits recommendations for purchase orders to maintain or enhance department operations.
- Provide backup or assistance throughout the yard as needed or assigned.
Internal Control Responsibilities
- Equipment & Maintenance
- Monitors and inspects allocated department equipment to ensure all assets are working within stated guidelines.
- Report all equipment deficiencies or malfunctions for maintenance or repair to the proper supervisor.
Supports the Company’s Internal Control process which includes understanding, communicating, and complying with defined internal controls as well as suggesting and making modifications to the policies, procedures, and controls to better relate to the business. Communicates upward problems in operations, noncompliance with the code of conduct, or other policy violations or illegal actions.Job Conditions
This position is regularly exposed to all weather conditions. Physical hazards such as noise, fumes, and dirt are present due to the equipment, machinery, and scrap as would be found throughout the scrap yard. Safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, face shields, and additional personal protective equipment as needed, must be worn to eliminate the risks associated with these hazards. Travel is not required for this position.
Handling multiple issues regarding safety and maintenance increases pressure. Work load may be unpredictable and pressure can be substantial during peak times. Critical deadlines require considerable adaptability. Disturbances of work flow and/or irregularities in work schedule are expected and occur on an intermittent basis. Extra hours may be required, sometimes on weekends, weekdays, and holidays.Physical Activities Required to Perform Essential Functions
Ability to: sit rarely; stand and walk frequently on uneven ground and throughout the yard; lift and carry up to 50 pounds consistently; push and pull occasionally when moving materials; crouch or bend at the knees consistently to move or access materials or equipment; stoop or bend at the waist consistently to move materials; reach at arms length and overhead frequently; twist and turn at the neck and trunk continually; climb occasionally when obtaining items; manual dexterity required as the Stockpiling Lead will handle, grasp, and manipulate materials constantly; communicate by speech and hearing continually. Visual acuity needed for close detail work and documentation. Mental dexterity needed as the Stockpiling Lead will work independently while demonstrating attention to detail and continuous awareness.Qualifications
High School diploma, GED Certification, or 3 to 5 years of experience in a similar role preferred.
Ability to develop and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships with customers and other employees required.PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
All U.S. applicants must be 18 years of age or older and all Canada applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. participates in e-verify for all U.S. new hires.
An offer of U.S. employment by Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. or any of its subsidiaries is contingent on the satisfactory completion of a post-offer drug screen and background check.
All new hires must review and sign an Arbitration Agreement. This applies to all U.S. non-union employees.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, marital status, disability status, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, age, prior industrial injury, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected status under local, state or federal law.
This job has expired.