GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Receiving general direction from the Chief of Anesthesia, Critical Care, and Pain Medicine and the Vice President for Enterprise Anesthesiology, the incumbent is the senior administrator responsible for finances, operations, human resources, interdepartmental and external relationships, strategy, and business development of the MGH Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care, and Pain Medicine.
The Executive Director will direct a highly successful department, overseeing an extremely talented leadership team while balancing competing interests and strategically planning for opportunities at the department, hospital and system-wide levels. Responsibilities include management of departmental operations, programmatic/strategic and project development, long-range planning, new business initiatives, personnel, finances, research, education and training, professional billing, compliance, legal and regulatory issues, quality and safety issues, facilities and information systems, marketing, network development and development/fund-raising.
- Collaborate with Chief, Vice President, and key physician leaders on long-term strategy and integration of departmental vision into broader framework of major academic medical center and system integration/enterprise strategy
- Business planning for provision of anesthesia and pain medicine services at new facilities and outlying community hospitals
- Plan and direct finances of clinical department including oversight of technical and professional operating budgets, capital budgets, research grants, endowments, physician compensation plans, and business planning efforts
- Effectively manage effective operations of one of the largest academic anesthesia department in the United States including coordination and integration with academic and research missions
- Direct supervision of employees in financial, clinical and administrative roles; shared responsibility for additional physician, PhD and trainee FTEs
- Oversight of departmental business and clinical IT resources including effective system implementation, integration, and ongoing support of EPIC anesthesia record in all perioperative locations (operating rooms, procedural areas, and pre-operative clinic)
- Serve as a critical interface for interdepartmental issues
- Participate and/or lead institution- and enterprise-wide planning and strategic initiatives
- Total Physician and Professional Staff FTEs: ~330 FTE
- Total Non-Professional Staff FTEs: ~300 FTE
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- GH Operating Budget: $30M
- PO Operating Budget: $115M
- Industry/Grants/Philanthropy/Other: $70M
The Executive Director is the senior administrator in the Department. The individual's general responsibilities encompass managing the business and administrative affairs of the department; providing expertise in the areas of finance (financial reporting and analysis, budgeting, expense control and revenue enhancement), strategic planning, program development, clinic administration, human resources, space maintenance, information systems and contract/affiliation negotiations and management. In collaboration with the Chief, Vice President and other senior management within the department, the Executive Director assists with the development and implementation of departmental strategic plan, which is aligned with hospital and system strategies. The Executive Director will also support the Chair, Vice Chairs, Division Chiefs and faculty in the development and implementation of strategy and policies; will plan, lead, organize and direct the business affairs of the Department and support those related to the Mass General Brigham (MGB) Anesthesia Enterprise Service; and represents the Chairman and Department in interfaces with the MGH, MGPO, MGB, Harvard Medical School, other departments, affiliate hospitals and other external constituents.Operational Responsibilities
Quality, Safety, and Process Improvement
- Assists Department Chief in establishing departmental policies and procedures.
- Evaluates, initiates, and implements various departmental systems and procedures and revises as necessary to maximize efficiency.
- Establishes, evaluates and implements policies, procedures, and systems.
- Serves as resource for resolution of administrative questions/issues/problems.
- Oversees Department's professional and technical billing practices.
- Ensures that "front-end" procedures are coordinated and all services provided are monitored and tracked to ensure capture and timely submission to PBO of all services provided.
- Oversee activities of billing services to ensure timely/maximized collections.
- Ensures Departmental billing compliance for technical (Pain Center) and professional (anesthesia, critical care, and pain medicine) billing practices
- Serves as interface between Department and billing service liaisons for account analysis, resolving issues, etc.
- Performs billing analyses and reporting. Prepares financial projections and monitors performance relative to projections.
- Coordinates with billing services to develop billing policies and procedures.
- Works with management staff and representatives from other departments to evaluate, initiate, and implement systems and procedures and revises as necessary to improve perioperative, Pain, ICU and OB services and maximize efficiency. Determines appropriate number of anesthesia staff to deploy with special consideration given to staff deployed outside the OR environment.
- Oversees and coordinates Departmental customer service initiatives.
- Oversees Departmental facilities and environmental issues related to repairs, cleaning, directories, signage, parking, audio-visual resources, etc.; Coordinates space planning, space allocation, renovation, etc.; Ensures facilities compliance with Joint Commission, OSHA, and Hospital guidelines.
- Oversees Departmental information systems
- Coordinates with Partners Information Resources Department to arrange for hardware/software installation.
- Explores, evaluates and implements new technologies and develops Departmental information systems resources as appropriate.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of Departmental Internet Web site.
- Manages contract negotiation and purchasing with respect to clinical and business information systems
- Monitors monthly service statistics and facilitates strategies for improvement in utilization etc.
- Oversees clinical personnel including CRNAs, RNs, NPs and radiation technologists
- Collaborates with all MGB sites as needed to align clinical operations and manages relationships with affiliate practice sites (North Shore Medical Center, Martha's Vineyard Hospital, Nantucket Cottage Hospital, MG West, MG Northshore, MEEI)
- Oversees Group Practice and third party credentialing/enrollment issues.
- Ensures enrollment of groups/individuals in the Anesthesia Associates group practice.
- Ensures processing of credentialing documents/managed care applications; Coordinates with CCMU to enroll group in managed care plans through the MGPO.
- Oversees the maintenance of resource area of third party/managed care plan reference materials to ensure that referral information, telephone numbers, policies and procedures are up-to-date.
- Clinical review of quality indicators
- Regular department audits to ensure compliance with internal standards as well as state and federal guidelines
- Participation in and compliance with MGPO compliance initiatives and related MGH compliance initiatives
- In collaboration with the Chief, establish quality and safety targets and structures for the department, including Quality Assurance and Quality Improvement Committees Development and monitoring of departmental indicators/dashboards set forth to meet quality goals
- Design, oversight, and implementation of process improvement initiatives utilizing LEAN, Six Sigma, Toyota Production System and/or other PI techniques
- Works closely with the Finance Director to manage all financial matters related to the department. Coordinate with the Executive Finance Director for Procedural Services as needed on overlapping matters.
- Prepares annual operating and capital budgets.
- Monitors research, sundry, HMS, MGPO, and GH funds within the Department as assigned. Oversees these activities where appropriate.
- Reconciles monthly fund statements.
- Coordinates with Accounts Payable, Research Finance, Payroll, and other departments as needed for resolution of errors or identification of charges.
- Develops monthly status reports of research, GH, and MGPO funds.
- Reviews statements with key stakeholders.
- Approves all capital purchases.
- Assigns expenditures to funds as necessary.
- Develop and maintaining dashboards/reporting structures
- Oversees and approves financial transactional activities (payroll, travel requests, employee change slips, journal entries, check requests, etc.).
Development and administration of physician compensation plans
Human Resources/Supervisory Responsibilities
- Conceptualizes and performs a variety of financial analyses (e.g. for global/fixed fee development, physician recruitment, business/program development, service expansion, etc.).
- Oversees expense (rent, telephones, staffing, etc.) management issues; Performs comparative analyses; Develops and implements strategies for cost containment.
- Collaborates with Chief and Development Office on philanthropy opportunities, aligned with department needs and strategies.
Education/Training/Faculty Development Program
- Coordinates all related activities.
- Oversees Departmental personnel issues:
- Approves all non-professional staff personnel transactions (hiring, salaries, promotions, job descriptions, etc.) for group practice, clinical unit, and administrative support personnel. Supports the same for professional staff in collaboration with Chief and physician leaders.
- Coordinates with Human Resources for the interviewing, hiring, and implementing institutional corrective action policy for all staff.
- Reviews workload issues to ensure appropriate clinical and support staffing.
- Works with Chief and physician leadership team on all physician practice matters, including performance management, compensation, faculty development, recruitment and onboarding.
- Oversees the preparation and processing of professional staff appointment, HMS promotions, and visas.
- Reviews salary and wage issues regularly; Works with Chief and counterparts across MGB to develop and implement Anesthesia plans, including performance metrics as needed..
- Serves as Departmental resource for issues related to professional and non-professional staff compensation, benefits, and general HR inquiries.
- Performs/coordinates special projects as assigned.
- Along with the Vice Chair for Education/Faculty Development, provides support to Senior Education Manager and Education Team, who provide administrative oversight for the training programs (over 120 trainees)
- Monitors and updates, with the Program Directors, training affiliation agreements with outside institutions. Maintains and fosters relationships with those institutions where our trainees rotate, and those institutions whose trainees rotate to the MGH.
- Ensures compliance with the requirements for accreditation by the ACGME/Residency Review Committee. Collects required data in an ongoing fashion and anticipates and prepares the necessary documents and records for periodic reviews.
- Manage administrative aspects of all fellowship programs (Cardiac, Intensive Care, Pain, Obstetrics and Acute/Regional)
- Oversees financial management of training program, including implementing and ensuring compliance with professional billing activities as applicable.
- Extends teaching mission to all levels of staff and encourages continuing education for both employees and self.
- Addresses resident and fellow issues relating to salary, parking, benefits, etc.
- Works closely with Vice Chair on innovative Faculty Development programs to support professional staff in career growth, including oversight of Faculty Enhancement Program, seminars/workshops, etc.
- Works with Chief, Vice Chair for Research and Administrative Director for research to support all Principal Investigators in reviewing grant submissions, developing appropriate budgets and financial management of all research projects.
- Ensures all departmental labs are fully compliant with all applicable regulatory and institutional standards.
- Supports AD for research to manage research space, internal grants and all other aspects of research administration
Collaborates with Chief and Vice President on development of departmental strategic plan
- Business Development
- Primary contact for new business ventures
- Identifies business lines and clinical sub-services that may require expansion of DACCPM support; form recommendation on strategic direction based on operational and financial analysis
- Works with MGH and Partners Marketing departments to implement strategies to start new business operations within Anesthesia, Pain Medicine and Critical Care.
- Acts as lead or project manager for internal efficiency programs, such as clinical resource management; process improvement; through-put optimization.
- Oversees the fiscal aspect of strategic information systems purchasing decisions.
- Primary contact for all space planning
- Collaborates with Chief, Vice President, and MGB-wide Anesthesia leadership on Mass General Brigham Anesthesia Enterprise Service strategy, leading projects and initiatives as needed to support overall strategy
- Coordinates and assists in the development, preparation, and distribution of departmental publications/communications and copy materials for internal and external audiences.
- Works with Marketing to leverage social media as recruitment tool and to raise general awareness about the fields of anesthesia, critical care, and pain medicine
- Oversees the review of correspondence from third party carriers related to changes; Ensures the communication of changes to billing service as needed.
- Responsible, in partnership with Chief and departmental executive team, for effective internal communication strategy to/across the department and institution.
- On behalf of the department, responsible, in partnership with Chief and departmental executive team, for leading business development communications across the institution and to all external partners.
The qualified candidate will have an MBA, MPH or other comparable Master's degree, with 10-15 years related experience, preferably in an academic medical center or related industry. The incumbent should also have the ability to gain credibility and trust with multiple layers of a complex organization; successful track record of front line management; superb financial expertise; excellent interpersonal and listening skills; open, honest, objective manner; ability to interact effectively with front line staff, physicians, senior management, department heads and managers; and ability to bring diverse groups to work together as a team. SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- Exceptional organizational skills and the flexibility to handle multiple tasks and deadline pressures.
- Successful track record of front line management.
- Ability to provide support, direction and development to staff.
- Effective financial and analytical skills, including budget development, grant and contract management.
- Ability to make decisions quickly and independently.
- Excellent interpersonal/communications skills.
- Exceptional computer skills (including operating systems, word processing, database, electronic mail, Internet, and spreadsheets) required.
- Good command of English language, including medical and scientific terminology.
- Able to handle sensitive and confidential issues.
- Ability to attend meetings outside of 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. is required.
Normal office conditions. Attend meetings outside regular business hours. Willingness to travel to other entities.SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY
Responsible for 330 Physician/Professional staff FTEs and ~300 Non-Physician FTEsEEO Statement
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
This job has expired.