As a not-for-profit organization, Mass General Brigham is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Mass General Brigham supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We're focused on a people-first culture for our system's patients and our professional family. That's why we provide our employees with more ways to achieve their potential. Mass General Brigham is committed to aligning our employees' personal aspirations with projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each member of our team to own their personal development-and we recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Mass General Brigham values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
General Summary/ Overview:
Under general direction from the Corporate Manager of Materials Management, Transportation Operations, and within established policies and procedures, the Supervisor of Transportation Services leads all aspects of the day-to-day operations involved in the delivery of transportation services throughout the Mass General Brigham. Coordinates a broad range of activities to assist in the development, implementation and delivery of passenger shuttle services, cargo (truck) delivery services, and specimen delivery services. Works closely with leadership to deliver state-of-the-art services to ensure that the organization's transportation needs are met and continuously improved.
Participates in various committees across Mass General Brigham to enhance service and the patient experience. Shares in the application of department information systems. Coordinates activities with the Corporate Manager of Transportation Operations, department supervisors throughout the system, and members of Supply Chain to positively impact expenses and services.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Use/s the Mass General Brigham values to govern decisions, actions, and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration
- Provides direct supervision to Transportation staff and oversees operations to meet the needs of all entities including:
- Somerville yard
- Shuttle operations from any of our main shuttle stops including the MGH shuttle stop, BWH shuttle stop, North Station, Crosstown, 850 Boylston, etc.
- Truck and cargo routes across multiple campuses; supervises 17 passenger shuttle routes and services across multiple campuses. Supervises the Specimen Outreach Program and is responsible for the timely pick-up and delivery of over 425 specimen/cargo pick-ups per day throughout Arranges proper staffing levels to meet scheduled and unscheduled needs.
- Works with Manager to ensure goals and objectives are met related to productivity, quality, and service.
- Responsible for the timely review of departmental performance appraisals Sets goals and objectives relative to the performance appraisal process and evaluates employee performance accordingly. Administers all phases of corrective action and works with Human Resources, when necessary. Coordinates the hiring, termination, and rewards for personnel within area of responsibility. Works with staff to monitor, evaluate and improve performance and productivity of the individuals and the team.
- Oversees and monitors customer service provided by staff and responsible for addressing and resolving day-to-day service issues; initiatives include the training of staff, documenting procedures, arranging workflow and assignments, and troubleshooting operational issues.
- Assures high quality of work is achieved Recommends and implements appropriate changes within areas of responsibility to maintain and improve operational efficiencies for all shuttle, cargo and specimen routes provided by the department.
- Accountable for the efficient operation of the Transportation Dispatch Center and works with dispatchers to provide the highest quality service. Responsible for all aspects of the dispatch operation. Ensures all in-coming calls are handled in a professional manner, dispatched promptly and completed in a timely fashion.
- Accountable for the implementation of all phases of e-courier Dispatch System. Works with the department trainer to ensure dispatchers and transportation associates properly use the system. Responsible for data integrity, reporting, and the customer profile database and make recommendations on system enhancements.
- Develops and monitors service metrics and routine statistics monthly for all areas of control. Meets with key customers monthly to review metrics. Works with customers throughout the network to develop and implement new shuttle, cargo, and courier services. Provides customers with recommendations on routes, schedules, and pricing.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of departmental policies & procedures and ensures consistent practices for areas of responsibility. Coordinates a broad range of activities to assist in the development, communication and enforcement of operational policies and procedures for the unit and provides same to front line staff.
- Works with the department trainer to ensure all training requirements are met. Responsible for effective training programs and compliance to meet JCAHO, OSHA, DOT and other regulatory agencies requirements. Coordinates with MGH Police and Security to ensure AVADE and other related training is completed. Coordinates scheduling with Occupational Health for all DOT medical Card examines to ensure timely completion. Ensure Medical Examiner's Card and Licensure is up to date with the Registry of Motor Vehicles according to the DOT standards.
- Assists with the daily and weekly preventative maintenance of over 100 vehicles in the Transportation fleet. Assists with the coordination of repair and preventative maintenance for all vehicles. Tracks repairs and maintenance and makes recommendations to improve fleet management.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in related field preferred.
- Two to three years experience in transportation or related required.
- Previous experience leading people preferred.
- A combination of education and experience may be substituted for requirements
- Possess strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with cross functional teams including staff at all levels of the organization
- Ability to successfully negotiate and collaborate with others of different skill sets, backgrounds, and levels within and external to the organization
- Strong problem solving and negotiation skills
- Ability to effectively conduct meetings, both formal and informal
- Requires minimal direction from leadership and possesses the ability to learn quickly
- Supervises daily operations of Transportation Services with a staff of over 140 employees, on three shifts, 7 days a week/24 hours a day.
- Direct reports consist of shuttle drivers, truck drivers, couriers, dispatchers, customer service clerks, data entry clerks and an office assistant.
• Frontline budget management within an overall operating budget of $11,000,000 and a capital inventory valued at approximately $3,000,000.00. Participates in the annual capital budget submission. Working Conditions:
- Primary locations: MGB Transportation Garage 21 3rd Ave Somerville, MA
- Possible local travel to Mass General Brigham sites
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Normal office working conditions. The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderate.
- Ability to work in a fast paced and stressful environment. Ability to work non-standard hours.
Mass General Brigham is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.