A NERC Compliance Specialist in the Protection & Controls group needs a broad range of skills and is likely to be defined by both a breadth of knowledge and a depth of knowledge with a focus in NERC PRC and MOD standards for generation and transmission facilities. These skills are likely to include knowledge of the standards, system modeling software programs, and general problem-solving skills.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Candidate's list of work functions could include:
- Support Vertiv's NERC compliance services program from project start to finish - from creating the project estimates to performing the engineering work and presenting findings to the customer.
- Design PRC-002 solutions by working closely with design, vendor, utility, regulatory agency, operators, owners, contractors, and protection engineers to create solutions which translate the owner's requirements into concrete technical designs.
- Develop PRC-005 testing scripts and provide support to field engineers as they perform the work.
- Perform PRC-019, -024, -025, and -027 studies including calculation of setting parameters for microprocessor and electro-mechanical protective relays in accordance with the standards.
- Perform MOD-025, -026, and -027 generator model validation studies including system modeling in electrical simulation software platforms such as ASPEN, CAPE, EasyPower, ETAP or PSSE software as needed per project requirements, and leading the client through test procedures.
- Prepare and review proposals for NERC compliance services. Ensures that proposal pricing is accurate and technically correct
- Serve as a technical resource for ERS Field Engineers during installation, commissioning and operation of the electric power system protection and automation systems.
- At times, and depending on available work load, perform other Protection & Controls engineering tasks such as relay programming, system protection calculations for various applications, device logic and programming development, SCADA and HMI programming, system upgrades, specification and procurement of equipment, and other power system studies.
- Write complete, detailed reports using a computer, and accurately process job billing.
(Education and Work Experience)
- 10 + years of experience in utility grade power transmission protection engineering BSEE with an emphasis in Power Systems, EIT
- Proven experience in electrical simulation software platforms
- knowledge in transmission protection system & generating station protection coordination in order to perform the system modeling & analyses.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- 15+ years of experience in utility grade power transmission protection engineering and/or NERC compliance
- Masters preferred, PE registration, NETA IV or NICET IV
- Willing to work flexible hours including occasional weekend, holiday and night work. Must be available for out-of-town and international travel of up to several weeks.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers, talk and hear. Frequently required to sit, and work at computer. Ability to lift and/or move test equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Valid Driver's License.
The successful candidate will reflect and embrace Vertiv's Values and Behaviors: OUR VALUES
- Acting Like an Owner
- Assuming Positive intent in all employee interactions
- Being passionate about your work
- Challenging yourself in personal development
- Being tireless in exceeding customer expectations
- Assisting others to be successful as a team
- Owning our own mistakes quickly
- Talking with people and NOT about them
- Creating a culture where people can be their best
- Be self-aware and learn
- Embrace the customer experience
- Think and act broadly
- Drive change and innovation
- Leverage diversity for organization effectiveness
- Foster collaborative relationships
- Take intelligent risks
At Vertiv, we offer the stability of a global leader in a growing industry and the opportunity of a startup. We design, manufacture and service the mission-critical infrastructure technologies for vital applications in data centers, communication networks and commercial and industrial environments. With $5.0 billion in revenue, a strong customer base and global reach in nearly 70 countries, our move to establish a standalone business enables us to deliver greater value to our customers and create new opportunities for our people.
Vertiv is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We promote equal opportunities for all with respect to hiring, terms of employment, mobility, training, compensation, and occupational health, without discrimination as to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity / expression (including transgender status or sexual stereotypes), genetic information, citizenship status, national origin, protected veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. If you have a disability and are having difficulty accessing or using this website to apply for a position, you can request help by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
No calls or agencies please. Vertiv will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States. This is not a position for which sponsorship will be provided. Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
The anticipated salary range for this role in the Colorado locality is between $100k to $140k per year. Salary ranges for other geographic localities may vary. The role is eligible to participate in a comprehensive and competitive benefits program, including medical, dental, vision, disability, PTO, and 401k.