Works in both a leadership and team capacity to coach and counsel leaders and peers on performance management, employee development and corrective action. Documents all employee relations activity per established protocols and escalates issues of high risk or high complexity to the Employee Relations Center of Excellence. Serves as a mentor providing guidance and support to those in the role of Human Resources Generalist. Support spans all disciplines of human resources and all geographic areas where Quest Diagnostics employees exist, requiring deep knowledge of processes, practices and employment policies and laws across all functions and geographies.
Serves as escalation point for inbound inquiries received by telephone, warm transfers, electronically and in writing pertaining to employment policies and employee relations questions, issues and concerns that cannot be resolved at Service Desk. Provides information, interpretation, guidance and counseling to managers, employees and other Human Resources Generalists on moderately complex issues, employment policies and laws, and recommends course of action as appropriate.
- Provides consistent coaching, expertise and consultation to internal customers in areas of behavior modification, conflict resolution and disciplinary issues (including termination) in accordance with the values, policies and procedures of the Company.
- Provides support to managers and employees on moderately/high complex issues such as discrimination, harassment and work place violence.
- Responds to general escalated compensation job change parameters, and demotions.
- Partners with other departments such as EHS to maintain a safe work environment consistent with company policy and state/federal regulations, or for corrective action to eliminate or minimize potential hazards. Also partners with Compliance on compliance investigations and Benefits on issues related to LOA and RTW.
- Advises managers and supervisors on performance evaluation, feedback and recognition techniques, and establishment of measurements and standards.
- Advises managers and supervisors on the alignment of employee performance plans with organizational goals, and the overall adequacy and quality of employee performance plans.
- Assists, counsels and educates managers and supervisors on federal and state employment laws, ensuring legal compliance.
- Investigates and resolves workplace issues, including claims of harassment, discrimination and employee performance.
- Facilitates communication between employees, management, and other HR functions as appropriate.
- Assembles and reviews records, reports and documentation as necessary to conduct thorough investigations and establish the merits of a case, maintaining complete and thorough documentation per established protocols.
- Maintains current knowledge of policies, guidelines and employment laws across all regions and functions.
- May assist in researching, compiling documentation and developing responses for litigation or EEOC charges.
- Prepares reports, analysis and preparation of severance documents for reduction in force activities.
- Assists manager and supervisors in assessing requests for ADA accommodations not associated with approved leaves of absence.
- Works collaboratively with Centers of Excellence (CoE), HR Business Partners (HRBP) and/or other HR functional areas to resolve more complex complaints or issues.
- Performs other assigned tasks or related work as required and as assigned by the Sr ER Specialist or ER Manager.
- Maintains thorough and confidential centralized employee files and disciplinary/investigation files.
- Maintains privacy and confidentiality of information, protects the assets of the Company, reports non-compliance and adheres to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, and company policies and procedures.
- Maintain close contact with Coe's, the HRSC team and HR Generalist team to ensure alignment with corporate and regional functions.
- Drive people processes to ensure that employee' capabilities meet current and future standards.
- Develops and promotes feedback mechanisms for employees to influence continuous improvement of HR services and processes.
- Participates in or leads functional and cross-functional process improvement initiatives and projects to drive the achievement of business results within the HRSC and/or client groups, with a focus on continuous process.
- Works closely with HR Service Center Manager and Coe's to ensure rollout and consistent application of functional changes impacting the service center, or on issues that relate to or require involvement of the service center team
- Works in both a leadership and team capacity to coach and counsel leaders and peers on performance. management, employee development and corrective action. Documents all activity per established protocols and escalates issues of high risk or high complexity to the appropriate Center of Excellence.
- Serves as a mentor, providing guidance, support and advice to HR Generalists and ER Specialist in the service center, sharing expertise and knowledge on more complex issues.
- May serve as process owner for processes that reside in the Service Center (for example, Reduction in Force, Exit Interviews, Accommodations) to ensure consistency and timely execution.
- May serve as escalation/approval point for employee relations decisions in absence of manager.
- Provides callers with excellent, efficient and courteous service.
QUALIFICATIONSRequired Work Experience:
3 - 5 years human resources employee relations experience, including familiarity with applicable state and federal regulations. Preferred Work Experience:
N/APhysical and Mental Requirements:
Ability to work in a high volume and fast paced Knowledge:
- Familiarity with HR systems, such as HRIS, HR Reporting, Case Management, etc.
- Possess thorough knowledge of human resources philosophies, principles and practices
- Ability to research information and analyze data to arrive at valid conclusions, recommendations, and plans of action, exercising considerable judgment and discretion
- Ability to effectively and thoroughly investigate and resolve employee issues of moderate complexity
- Ability to prepare comprehensive reports and represent ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail, problem solving, organizational and prioritization skills
- Ability to deal with people in a manner which shows sensitivity, tact, and professionalism
- Ability to prioritize, problem solve and apply critical thinking skills
- Ability to effectively interact with a diverse population at all levels within the organization
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Ability to type a minimum of 45 words per minute while interacting with customers on the phone
- Customer Focus
- Decision Quality
- Conflict Management
- Managerial Courage
- Problem Solving
- Priority Setting
- Business Acumen