Performs microscopic examination of gynecologic and non-gynecologic slides for abnormal cellular changes. Responsible for referring appropriate cases for hierarchical review. Performs all duties in accordance with state and federal regulations. Maintains appropriate workload and quality assurance records.
- Under general supervision, examine microscopically and interpret gynecologic and non-gynecologic slides for infectious, reactive/reparative, and abnormal cells. Refer appropriate cases for hierarchical review.
- Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of results. Refer to supervisor/manager and document corrective action taken.
- Fulfill the responsibilities as listed in CLIA (CFR 493.1485):
- Document interpretation results of each specimen examined or reviewed.
- For each 24-hour period, document the total number of slides examined or reviewed in the laboratory as well as the total number of slides examined or reviewed in any other laboratory or for any other employer.
- Document the number of hours spent examining slides in each 24-hour period.
- Maintain and provide evidence of all required qualifications including ASCP, state licenses and liquid-based cytology certification, as applicable.
- Maintain familiarity with CLIA regulations, as applicable to cytology.
- Maintain specimen integrity and patient identification of all samples examined.
- Enter and/or report results into the laboratory information system, as applicable.
- Maintain confidentiality of patient test results in accordance with HIPAA regulations.
- Adhere to and document required quality control activities.
- Comply with all corporate, safety, quality control, and quality assurance standards.
- Comply with all local, federal, CLIA, and CAP regulations
- Participate successfully in required training and competency assessment.
- Participate successfully in a CMS-approved proficiency-testing program annually, as applicable.
- Acquire and document the required number of continuing education hours annually.
- Perform other duties as assigned, (e.g., specimen processing, data entry) to include performing and documenting quality control rescreening, if qualified under CFR 493.1469 (Cytology General Supervisor Qualifications).
QUALIFICATIONS Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience:
- Meet CLIA requirements (CFR.493.1483).
- Meet state licensure requirements, if applicable.
- Meet ASCP requirements for Cytotechnologist (if not certified prior to employment, must pass ASCP registry within one year of start date).
Liquid-based cytology training/certification (ThinPrep and/or Surepath), preferred. Physical and Mental Requirements:
- The normal performance of duties may require lifting and carrying objects: Objects 1 to 10 pounds are lifted and carried frequently; objects 11 to 25 pounds are lifted and carried occasionally; objects 36 to 50 pounds are seldom lifted or carried and objects over 50 pounds are not to be lifted or carried without assistance.
- Ability to stand and work at the bench for long periods of time.
- Frequent walking and/or standing.
- May be required to use a wide variety of manual tools and laboratory instruments and apparatuses all of whichdemand significant manual dexterity
Current state licensure, if applicable(Required)
Liquid-based cytology training/certification (ThinPrep and/or Surepath)
Meet ASCP requirements for Cytotechnologist (if not certified prior to employment, must pass ASCP registry within one year of start date). (Required)
Meet CLIA requirements (CFR.493.1483). (Required)