The Department of Pathology is seeking a Clinical Technician II to under general supervision, operates and maintains specialized medical equipment; collects whole blood; screens blood donors for eligibility; performs fingerstick and tests samples for hematocrit and/or hemoglobin, and cell counts using automated analyzer. Assist with loading, transporting, and setting up blood drive equipment. This position is 100% time, and you may choose to work 8 or 10 hour shifts. The hours are primarily Monday - Friday, 1st shift between 7:00 am and 7:30 pm with occasional earlier or later shifts as necessary to accommodate blood drives, occasional weekends, and on-call.
Duties to include:
- Screens prospective whole blood and apheresis donors and performs physical examination of the donor using standard interview forms/computer programs with regard to condition and age of donor in relation to training.
- Collects donor samples for determination of laboratory analysis. Draws pretest, retest, and other blood samples as assigned with regard to condition and age of donor in relation to training.
- Performs donor phlebotomy and draws whole blood units maintaining aseptic technique with regard to condition and age of donor in relation to training.
- Performs record keeping and data collection using manual and computer methods.
- Performs quality control of equipment, and reports equipment malfunctions to a Donor Center Nurse, Donor Center Charge Nurse, Supervisor, or Clinical Technician III Lead.
- Reports all unacceptable results to a Donor Center Nurse, Donor Center Charge Nurse, Supervisor or Blood Drive Lead.
For a full job description, please send an e-mail to the contact listed below.
The Department of Pathology is part of UI Health Care, a comprehensive health sciences center that serves Iowa and the region, as well as patients referred from the United States and overseas. The Clinical Laboratories are well recognized for providing outstanding and comprehensive care to the patients we serve. The breadth and depth of services provided are amongst the best in the country. The educational programs that the department participates in includes medical students, clinical laboratory scientists as well as biomedical scientists. To learn more: https://medicine.uiowa.edu/pathology/about-us.Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Two years of health care experience involving direct patient care including some use of specialized medical equipment at the level of a Clinical Technician I or equivalent, or a combination of related education and experience.
- Public contact experience with excellent customer service skills.
- Valid driver's license and the ability to meet University of Iowa Fleet Safety Program standards: https://transportation.uiowa.edu/fleet-services/safety-and-training
- Demonstrated ability to perform phlebotomy.
- Ability to operate and perform routine maintenance on various types of highly specialized medical equipment.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to collect data and maintain accurate records.
- Ability to perform quality control of equipment.
The department intends to hire for multiple positions from either Clinical Technician I, requisition 23002820, Clinical Technician II, requisition 23002821, or Clinical Technician III, requisition 23002822, based on the qualifications of the successful candidate. Please apply to the specific position for which you wish to be considered or all three postings.Position and Application details:
In order to be considered for an interview, applicants must upload the following documents and mark them as a "Relevant File" to the submission:
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended.
Successful candidates will be required to self-disclose any criminal conviction history and will be subject to a criminal background check and credential/education verification. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process.
For additional questions, please contact Brenda Carey via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Classification Title: Clinical Technician II
- Appointment Type: Merit
- Schedule: Full-time
- Work Modality Options: On Campus
- Pay Level: 7
- Starting Salary Minimum: 35360.00
This job has expired.
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: Brenda Carey
- Contact Email: email@example.com