10 Hr Morning - Afternoon
Northeast Georgia Health System is rooted in a foundation of improving the health of our communities.
About the Role:
Primarily responsible for utilizing the nursing process in providing the healthcare needs of assigned patients within existing standards of care. Additional job responsibilities encompass assisting physician with assessment and care of patients, gathering and recording of data into medical record, assisting with lab clinic, and office procedures directly relating to patient care and front office duties as required for an overall efficient operation.
Minimum Job Qualifications
Preferred Job Qualifications
Licensure or other certifications: Medical Assistant Certification. Current BLS certification required or must be obtained within 30 days of hire.
Educational Requirements: High School Diploma or GED
Job Specific and Unique Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Preferred Licensure or other certifications:
Preferred Educational Requirements:
Preferred Experience: One (1) to two (2) years related experience. Experience as lab tech or cardiology practice.
Essential Tasks and Responsibilities
- Knowledge of appropriate clinical office procedures.
- Knowledge of front office (clerical) procedures.
- Correctly identifies and implements appropriate infection control processes.
Maintain proper function of patient care. Assist physician with assessment and care of patients. Assist with office visit by preparing examination room and patient (gown, etc.), recording weight, vital signs, bilateral BP measurements and medications. Perform electrocardiograms. Observe symptoms and conditions for acutely ill patient that may need emergency or immediate care and alerts PA and/or physician. Assist with gathering of medical records and assures confidentiality of records. Assess needs and assist with refills of medications and sample distribution. Medication refill approved by physician will be a Rx and assured Rx documentation. Assist with stocking and maintenance of drug samples. Assist with ordering and stocking supplies. Perform sanitation duties daily and as needed.
Gather and record accurate data into GEMMS system: Enter medications, problem list and medical history in appropriate area of chart. Abstract medical information into EMR. Create clinical resumes when appropriate. Update and verify information in electronic medical record. Perform, verify and complete orders in ECIS. Check message box and complete test results follow up. Document changes in lab procedure (different labs, addition of orders, patient requests). Transmit data to and from Lab Corp, Quest and NGMC. Assure all labs are sent to the appropriate laboratory depending on insurance.
Follow out physician orders: Educate patient and assist with completion of consent forms for procedures as required. Education and application of event monitors. Education and application of Holter monitor. Perform ABI, venipuncture, and order appropriate lab work. Assist with scheduling of tests/procedures. Ensure patients are called with test results in a timely manner. Prepare patient EMR prior to physician encounter with patient. Reviews office note to ensure all previous physician orders have been completed.
Assist lab clinic as needed: Perform venipuncture, order appropriate lab work, prepare blood samples, retrieve lab results, review results with physician as appropriate, and ensure patient is notified. Follow through with physician orders of results. Fill out appropriate lab flow sheet for physician review. Pull results from different labs used and be knowledgeable of specimen requirements for each lab. Phone and fax verbal orders from physician to lab and document in chart. Compile documentation of protimes done by venipuncture daily. Input charges for every procedure completed within the lab. Maintain temperature log daily. Maintain event monitor supply. Transport stat labs to hospital.
- Assist in Anti-Coagulation clinic including patient education and maintain education booklets, maintain controls and log according to guidelines, perform finger sticks for preparation of coagulants, perform venipuncture if needed for stat INR.
- Record and review results for Physician review.
- Regulate results according to Physician guidelines/protocols under the guidance of the RN Anti-Coagulation Coordinator.
- Ensure Physician signs orders/Anticoagulation sheets.
- Assist with voicemail and calling back of patients.
- Assist with maintaining Anti-Coagulation Clinic schedule and scheduling patients for appointments.
- Maintain regulation of patients enrolled in the Anti-Coagulation Clinic on home monitor or off- sites, follow through with physician orders of results.
- Assist with Notify MD and refilling Coumadin on patient's regulated at NGHC with physician approval.
- Maintain proper documentation on all patients in the EMR.
- Assist with the ordering and stocking of supplies.
- Assist with stocking and maintenance of drug samples.
- Responsible for compliance to NGMC policies and protocols, prepare for physician review in a timely manner.
- Assist with voice mail including retrieval of messages and pulling of charts.
- Phone patients with response of physician order and document.
- Phone medication refill with physician approval and document.
- Manage and update prescription requests through Notify MD.
- Front office duties as assigned.
- Ordering of supplies as requested by staff, including orders 2x monthly needed supplies, STAT orders completed as approved by managers.
- Assures supplies are obtained.
- Submit packing slips to DON, work with DON to review potential cost saving ideas and more efficient use of supplies.
- Comply with OSHA regulations. Responsible for compliance in respective clinical areas, including medical record documentation.
Working at NGHS means being part of something special: a team invested in you as a person, an employee, and in helping you reach your goals. NGHS: Opportunities start here.
Weight Lifted: Up to 50 lbs, Occasionally 0-30% of time
Weight Carried: Up to 20 lbs, Occasionally 0-30% of time
Vision: Moderate, Frequently 31-65% of time
Kneeling/Stooping/Bending: Frequently 31-65%
Standing/Walking: Frequently 31-65%
Pushing/Pulling: Frequently 31-65%
Intensity of Work: Occasionally 0-30%
Job Requires: Reading, Writing, Reasoning, Talking, Fingering
Northeast Georgia Health System is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not tolerate discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, marital status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected classification or status.