The University of Denver Sturm College of Law, a Top 75 U.S. law school and a national leader in experiential learning, seeks to hire one or more innovative, knowledgeable, and dedicated professionals on a full-time basis to serve as Career Consultant(s) within its Career Development Office (CDO). Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Career Development and working closely with other members of the CDO team, Career Consultants will engage in one-on-one counseling, group programming, and other activities designed to expand professional opportunities for students and graduates.
Located in one of the nation's most beautiful urban centers, the Sturm College of Law features a distinguished and internationally recognized faculty, an outstanding and diverse student body, a motivated and highly professional staff, and an alumni base that has achieved distinction in law, business, government, public interest, and other professional domains. The city of Denver, the state of Colorado, and the Rocky Mountain region feature a dynamic and diverse legal market and are home to numerous innovative and successful law firms, accounting firms, corporations, federal and state governmental entities, and non-profit employers.
Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Career Development and working closely with other members of the CDO team, Career Consultants will spur efforts to expand professional opportunities for students and graduates of the Sturm College of Law through one-on-one counseling and group programming addressing the evolving legal market, curricular pathways, effective job search strategies, networking, interviewing, cover letter/resume writing, and other matters bearing on professional development. In collaboration with the Director of External Relations and the Director of the Externship Program, Career Consultants will work to strengthen and expand relationships with employers. They will additionally assist in compiling employment statistics for purposes of analysis and submission to outside bodies.
- Provide effective professional advising and counseling to students and alumni of the Sturm College of Law across its JD, Master's, LLM, and certificate programs.
- Plan, promote, and execute career-related programming for students and graduates.
- Work with the Director of External Relations and the Director of the Legal Externship Program to expand and strengthen relationships with current and prospective employers, including law firms, corporations, accounting firms, consulting firms, governmental employers, and non-profit organizations.
- Assist in the compilation and reporting of employment-related data.
- Undertake other functions as needed to advance the CDO's short- and long-term goals.
- JD or equivalent from an accredited law school
- A minimum of 1-2 years of experience in a legal-professional setting
- Detailed knowledge of the evolving market for legal services
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong grammatical, editing, and proofreading abilities
- Facility with data
- A strong compliance orientation
- A strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively on a variety of projects and with a variety of constituents in a high-performing setting
- Proficiency with relevant technologies, including Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Experience with advising and counseling.
Normal hours are typically Monday through Friday, 8:30-5:00. Some evening and occasional weekend hours are required. Application Deadline
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled. Special Instructions
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Salary Grade Number:
The salary grade for the position is 10.Salary Range:
The salary range for this position is $56,000 - $64,000.
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidate's sex or any other protected status. Benefits:
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver Sturm College of Law. Please include the following documents with your application: Resume Cover Letter Three (3) References
The University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer. The University of Denver prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age (40 years and over in the employment context), religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, veterans status, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under federal, state, or local law, regulation, or ordinance in any of the university's educational programs and activities, and in the employment (including application for employment) and admissions (including application for admission) context, as required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended in 2008; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; the Age Discrimination Act of 1975; the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967; and any other federal, state, and local laws, regulations, or ordinances that prohibit discrimination, harassment, and/or retaliation. For the university's complete Non-Discrimination Statement, please see non-discrimination-statement. All offers of employment are contingent upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.Advertised:
November 08, 2022 Applications close: