Veolia Group aims to be the benchmark company for ecological transformation. With nearly 230,000 employees worldwide, the Group designs and provides game-changing solutions that are both useful and practical for water, waste and energy management. Through its three complementary business activities, Veolia helps to develop access to resources, preserve available resources and replenish them. In 2021, the Veolia group provided 79 million inhabitants with drinking water and 61 million with sanitation, produced nearly 48 million megawatt hours and recovered 48 million tons of waste. Veolia Environnement (Paris Euronext: VIE) achieved consolidated revenue of 28,508 billion euros in 2021. www.veolia.com
The Business Development Manager (BD Mgr) purpose is to achieve the profitable growth objectives set by the Regeneration & Recovery Solutions (RRS) Business by identifying, developing and closing long term, sustainable contracts in the oil refining market with a focus on the refineries water cycle efficiencies, wastewater optimization and oily residuals processing. Leading business development activities within their prescribed area while respecting the goals and values of Veolia. The BD Mgr will maintain a sufficient prospect pipeline to ensure continuity of revenues and profitability year over year.
This position is located in the Midwest Region, not specifically Detroit.
- Drive and lead business development activities within the Midwest Oil and Gas market by visiting clients & prospects to uncover and evaluate their needs and identifying related solutions from Veolia's Recovery Services offerings in order to achieve the business growth plans
- Build, maintain and establish strong business relationships with customers on different levels and strategic suppliers/partners to the company (consulting engineers, contractors, etc)
- Prepare and make sales presentations focusing customer value selling. In conjunction with Veolia operations Project Management team, coordinate visits from Veolia technical staff and upper level management to customer sites where necessary. Arrange customer visits to Veolia facilities and in-house installation demonstrations.
- Anticipate and respond to Request-for-Quotations, Request-for-Proposals, Statement of Qualifications requests and other customer based inquiries.
- Run point on proposal preparation meetings working with operations, engineering, legal, finance, EHS and leadership to ensure that the needs and expectations of the customer are clarified and communicated and that the RRS team responds in a timely manner to complete proposals, pricing and presentations for customers.
- Demonstrate understanding of internal economic factors (cost, margins, and profit impact of decisions) and external economic factors in order to ensure proposal meets Veolia's success criteria and the customers.
- Present proposals to clients, lead negotiations and possible financial structuring discussions.
- Actively follow-up on bids to insure greatest potential for conversion to wins
- Ensure the quality for all communications being sent to customers to convey the proper RRS message to the marketplace
- Maintain a high level of Client Satisfaction. Support & promote annual NPS surveys to capture level of client satisfaction year over year.
- Use CRM system (SalesForce) to manage key accounts, projects, prospects and sales campaigns. As well as preparing sales forecasts.
- Inform management of all activities, opportunities, issues and project deadlines during monthly pipeline reviews
- Maintain a level of vigilance to market dynamics & trends in services, specifications, competitor movement within their market of responsibility & customer base. Communicate information to colleagues and adjust sales strategy & positioning according to these dynamics in order to increase win rate.
- Alert leadership of extraordinary events, new risks and requirements that may impact the business Attend industry sponsored trade shows and seminars. Communicate potential opportunities to other Veolia locations and business units
- Develop and maintain communications in a cooperative and professional manner with all levels within a customers' organization and Veolia Business units.
- Must be a self-starter, able to successfully work with minimum supervision and in a matrix organization that is focused on in the field operations. Must be able & willing to adapt to change.
- Consistently demonstrate a commitment to the Health and Safety culture
- Ensure the compliance of business development practices with the directives of Veolia and work with the utmost integrity
- Assist other Business Development Managers to secure opportunities, provide independent and quality reviews on other proposals or project deliverables within your expertise as needed.
- Engineering or technical Bachelor's degree or equivalent technical certification in order to interpret customer technical requirements and determine best fit or equivalent technical and commercial experience.
- 5+ years project management experience in delivering projects to heavy industry (oil & gas, petrochemical, or equivalent)
- 10+ years of successful technical business development or sales experience in a related field with proven track record of complex business transactions, pricing and project finance, financial models and spreadsheets.
- Demonstrated experience in effective & successful technical and proposal writing.
- Proven client relationship management experience
- Excellent sales, marketing and client relations skills
- Active listener capable of uncovering and understanding clients' needs, building rapport and trust
- Ability to originate ideas, comprehend complex concepts, synthesize diverse even contradictory pieces of information to creatively develop winning sales strategies
- Ability to process technical, legal and financial information to arrive at an attractive business proposition.
- Knowledge of typical phases of project development process, client procurement procedures, and typical regulatory approval processes both within the refineries and externally.
- Knowledge of the operations within oil & gas refining with a focus on the refinery water cycle, wastewater optimization and oily residuals processing
- Established network and relationships within US refineries, national trade organizations, equipment vendors, financiers
- Knowledge of Veolia Regeneration & Recovery Solutions business, services offered, capabilities and inter-relationship with other divisions in the Veolia Group.
- Knowledge of competitors in oil & gas refining market, together with an appreciation of their strategies, strengths and weaknesses.
- Knowledge of oil & gas market legislation, suppliers, influences, contract structures.
- Demonstrated ability in effective project planning and organizational skills to meet deadlines and effectively use internal resources.
- High level of interpersonal, verbal, presentation, relationship building, persuasive & influencing skills in order to effectively communicate with all levels of internal and external contacts.
- Ability to modify communication and presentation style in order to relate to a variety of people and personalities.
- Must be proficient in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software.
- Must demonstrate ability to work in a team environment and willingness to assume additional or new responsibilities readily.
- Accepts responsibility and hold oneself accountable.
- Holds a valid drivers' licence
Veolia offers the most complete range of environmental solutions to meet the challenges of cities, governments, campuses, businesses and industries. Our network of talent and hands-on know-how is unique and unrivaled.
We help our customers address their environmental and sustainability challenges in energy, water and waste. That means improving our clients' energy efficiency, better managing their water and wastewater, and recovering resources from their wastes. We do this in a safe, cost-effective and innovative manner for more than 550 communities and more than 30,000 businesses, campuses and organizations throughout North America.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.