At the Hawthorne Gardening Company (HGC) we want our people to empower more people to garden no matter where and how they choose to grow. We accomplish this by encouraging people to live happier, healthier lives through gardening. If you also feel this way then you'd fit in great with us!
A successful Category Manager has the desire to "own" the management of a product portfolio within a category, assisting in execution of the category strategic plan across responsibilities including new product development, portfolio analysis (sales performance, marketplace/share, forecast/inventory, sku rationalization, etc.), marketing plan execution, sales training & support, and all other areas that directly impact the ability to meet the needs of Commercial and Hobby Growers in the Hydroponics Channel and achieve strategic goals.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Establish priorities within subset of category portfolio based on fit with category strategic plan, business case and feasibility to execute. Includes new product development, improvement of existing products and sku rationalization in order to ensure competitive advantage and meet metrics.
- Communicate the strategies, plans and results to leaders and cross-functional groups for the subset of their category level, product/brand on an on-going, consistent basis to drive alignment.
- Complete key business analyses including: marketplace/share, competitive assessment, volume builds, capacity assessment, promotion evaluation, SKU rationalization, pricing/sizing analysis, and market research analysis and implications;
- Analyze end-user, market and competitor trends, for the category from aproduct & brand perspective. Understand how end-users interact with products, how they fit into the overall category and how the products compare vs competition. Identify end-user wants/needs (gaps/ opportunities) relative to current and competitive offerings that will lead to product innovation.
- Execute new product development process, partnering with R&D, from ideation through development and launch. Oversee cross-functional team, with support of Project Management. Gain alignment with key internal stakeholders and Hawthorne leadership.
- Define new product development targets (with support of other functions): COGS, gross margins, distributor margins and retail price point.
- Build and manage sub-set of category portfolio of authentic and engaging Owned & Distributed brands that connect with customer and consumers. Includes management of multiple brands within same category, working to define clear positioning among HGC brands / Strategic Distributed Partners and vs. competition.
- Manage development and execution of marketing support for Strategic Marketing Plans, Product Development/Launches, and In-Market Needs; branding/positioning, advertising development, trade materials, website/digital, label development, launch plans, retailer support, etc.
Education level: Bachelor's Degree
Experience: 5+ years of experience in product or brand management roles of escalating responsibility;
Some other nice to have's:
- Demonstrated ability to build a successful business plan & gain buy-in with senior leadership, including Category;
- Demonstrated ability to both paint a vision - as well as ability to roll-up sleeves and get hands dirty to make things happen;
- Experience leading a "virtual team" - Works in conjunction with cross-functional team, including R&D, Sales, Supply Chain, Sales, Marketing Services, and others;
- Demonstrated skills in managing multiple projects, coordinating across multiple disciplines and teams, delivering successfully to challenging deadlines;
- Strong interpersonal skills - Ability to thrive in creating win/win solutions;
- Bias for action - results-driven individual;
- High degree of ownership and initiative;
- Collaborative mindset- ability to energize and activate plans across team members;
- Ability to thrive in a very fast paced environment;
- Resilient to adversity, adapting with flexibility;
- Entrepreneurial Spirit - proven ability to develop and execute new ideas - willing to champion new and different ideas even in the face of strong challenges;
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, including preparation and delivery of presentations;
- Enterprise thinker - ability to understand how their work fits into/enhances the broader enterprise objectives;
- Experience coaching and developing a direct report(s).
What we do for you (just to list a few cool ones):
- MBA Degree
- Hydroponics / Indoor Growing industry experience
- Experience with SAP
- Offer extremely competitive benefits including: Health, Dental and Vision coverage.
- Fitness Club Reimbursement ($350)
- Nutrition reimbursement program (up to $200 per associate and per spouse)
- First day of hire, 401K match (up to 7.5%) and discounted stock purchasing program (15%
- Our commitment to diversity and inclusion includes employee resource groups: Scotts Women's Network, Scotts Black Employee Network, Scotts Veterans Network, GroPride Network, Scotts Associates for a Greener Earth (SAGE), and Scotts Young Professionals.
- 13 SMG paid holiday days and generous vacation policy.
Our commitment to LiveTotal Health puts the wellness and safety of our associates and their families as the top priority. Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, ensuring associate safety has been a primary focus for all of us at Scotts. With the continuing pandemic, we remain committed to doing everything we can to keep our associates healthy and safe. As such, we are requiring certain associates to get a COVID vaccine*. This safety measure will help protect our associates, our families and our communities. We recognize a medical or personal circumstance may prevent you from meeting this requirement and we have a process to address those concerns.
Not interested in this role? Check out our other career opportunities and learn more about what it's like to work at Hawthorne Gardening Company by accessing our Talent Network: HGC Talent Network
The Hawthorne Gardening Company is a start-up company focused on hydroponic gardening. Dedicated to creating high quality products founded in social and environmental responsibility. Backed by the largest lawn and garden company in the U.S. (Scotts Miracle-Gro, NYSE: SMG) we bring new ideas, values, and culture to our endeavors without the constraints of a large corporation. We are an energetic, progressive-minded, sustainability-focused group of highly-motivated individuals, eager to share our love of gardening with the world.
The brands and products within our portfolio include: Sunlight Supply, General Hydroponics, General Organics, Vermicrop, Botanicare, AeroGarden, CanFilters and Gavita Lighting.
Hawthorne Gardening Company is an EEO Employer, dedicated to a culturally diverse, drug free workplace.
EEO/AA Employer/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Notification to Agencies:
Please note that the Hawthorne Gardening Company does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Master Service Agreement, and specific approval to submit resumes to an approved requisition, the Hawthorne Gardening Company will not consider or approve payment regarding recruiter fees or referral compensations.
*Except where prohibited by state or local law