Do you like solving a wide range of mechanical problems? Are you looking for new challenges? How does a $4,000* hiring bonus sound? As a Diesel Technician at the Nebraska Department of Transportation, you'll be part of a supportive team that takes great pride in ensuring equipment is on the road, where it belongs, to help support the wonderful freedom of travel throughout the State of Nebraska.
The Nebraska Department of Transportation (NDOT) is seeking a dedicated and hardworking team player to join us in our mission to enhance the quality of life for Nebraskans by building and maintaining a convenient, safe, and innovative statewide transportation system!
We reward our employee's hard work with a friendly and supportive work environment and a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
• State-matched retirement contribution of 156%!
• 13 paid holidays
• Generous leave accruals that begin immediately
• A culture that embraces work-life balance
• Military leave
• Tuition reimbursement program
• Dependent tuition reimbursement program with partnering Nebraska community colleges
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) through the Federal government
• 79% employer paid health insurance plans
• Dental and vision insurance plans
• Employer-paid $20,000 life insurance policy
• Wide variety and availability of career advancement as the largest and most diverse employer in the State
• Opportunity to be part of meaningful work and make a difference through public service
• Training and development based on your career aspirations
• Job security and stability, even during times of economic hardship
• Employee Assistance Program
• Fun, inviting teammates
Pay rate of $18.973
Please reach out to Heather Vieth, Talent Acquisition Partner, at 402-326-2370, if you have questions or to learn more.
Apply today using our new quick apply process! Just attach your resume when prompted. No resume? Use the text box provided to tell us about your experience and qualifications.
Location: Hastings, NE
Examples of Work
- Under limited supervision will be responsible for the repair and maintenance of a variety of gasoline and diesel powered equipment and vehicles.
- Perform major engine overhauls using precision tools to completely rebuild gasoline and diesel engines.
- Overhaul transmissions and final drives, perform repairs and diagnostics of hydraulic systems and rewire electrical systems.
- Perform metal fabrications and major repairs on snowplows and trucks that may require extensive welding.
- Disassemble units, inspect parts for wear, repair; overhaul and replace parts using precision measuring instruments. Inspect reassigned equipment to insure that it is safe for operation by field personnel.
- Perform diagnosis and repairs on equipment breakdowns in the field.
- Obtain bids for the parts needed to repair engines.
- Maintain accurate records of time and materials expended.
- Perform preventative maintenance.
- Operate equipment during emergency snow removal operations.
Qualifications / Requirements
REQUIREMENTS: Practical work experience performing automotive/diesel maintenance and repair, including use of computerized diagnostic instruments and equipment OR post high school vocational or technical coursework in automotive/diesel mechanics including instruction in computerized diagnostic equipment and in automotive/diesel mechanical maintenance and repair practices, equipment, and technologies.
PREFERRED: A degree in auto/diesel mechanics and experience. Experience in the use of hand tools, testing equipment, and diagnosing and troubleshooting problems. Experience diagnosing malfunctions from verbal descriptions in order to repair equipment in the shop or field. Welding/fabrication experience. Regular and reliable attendance is required to accomplish assigned duties and responsibilities. Possess or be able to obtain a Class A CDL within 6 months of hire. Costs to obtain the permit will be covered by the department.
OTHER: Must be a safe worker that is team oriented. Must be able to be reached and report to work for emergencies and snow removal within 30 minutes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Safely move, drag, lift 35 pounds frequently, up to 60 pounds occasionally (without assistance), and 90 or more pounds infrequently (with assistance); climb, bend, or stoop; operate various kinds of equipment appropriate to the maintenance activity.
Must be able to report to work for snow and other highway emergencies within 30 minutes under normal driving conditions and be placed in an "on-call" status.
Ability to follow directions with minimal supervision. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to receive instructions. Regular and reliable attendance is required to accomplish assigned duties and responsibilities .
Ability to work and communicate with a team. Ability to work with minimal supervision. Safety oriented. Self motivated. High integrity. Trainable.
NDOT encourages applicants of all ages and experiences. *Conditions apply to receive the full hiring bonus.