College Board - Finance Division
Remote (USA) or Hybrid (NYC)
About the Team
The Investments & Strategic Initiatives (I&SI) team is highly visible within the College Board and provides exceptional opportunities for professional growth. We will be a small team of 4, all with deep commitment to providing excellent financial and strategic analysis to enable major business and investment decisions at the College Board. This is a great opportunity to get deep exposure to the fast-growing EdTech and impact investing sectors. The team is part of the College Board's larger Finance division and works closely with other divisions, including College Board's Advanced Placement (AP), SAT, and BigFuture programs.
About the Opportunity
As an Associate in the I&SI Group, you will play a critical role in building financial models, developing business cases, and evaluating equity investments and strategic initiatives that advance the College Board's objectives. You will help identify new areas of growth and make significant contributions to preserve the College Board's financial strength. Your work will be critical to expand the College Board's important mission to create a path for all students to own their futures. You will work closely with members of the Finance, Strategy, and executive the leadership team to evaluate and execute strategic initiatives and impact investments. We also support candidates who want to build a long-term career at the College Board or in the education industry. ***Previous team members have moved on after 2-3 years to pursue an MBA at a top business school.
In this role, you will:
Lead Corporate Finance projects (50%)
Support impact investing initiatives (40%)
- Partner with business and finance leaders to provide analytical support to optimize strategic decisions.
- Build and maintain complex financial models including 3-statement forecast models, buy-versus-build analysis, and financial return analysis.
- Evaluate acquisition and strategic partnership opportunities.
- Support new initiatives to enhance management of working capital and short-term investments.
- Prepare effective presentation materials and memos that summarize financial analysis and recommendations for senior executives.
Conduct industry research (10%)
- Help originate equity investments for the College Board's growing impact investment portfolio.Participate in due diligence process to evaluate financial return, mission impact potential, and strategic benefits of investments in early-stage education technology companies.
- Prepare investment memos and participate in Investment Committee approval meetings.
About you, you have:
- Monitor competitive landscape and assess implications for College Board.
- Research public and private companies in the education technology sector and prepare company overviews for College Board executive leadership.
- A Bachelor's degree (finance, accounting, or business preferred)
- 2+ years of experience in financial analysis in a corporate development, investment banking or principal investing role.
- Stated and genuine interest in corporate finance and the education technology (edtech) industry.
- Strong quantitative skills with a finance, accounting and/or related background; knowledge of financial modeling and basic accounting
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including facilitating meetings and presenting remotely and in-person to senior executives
- Strategic and creative thinking skills
- The ability to learn quickly and take on new responsibilities.
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong work ethic and a high level of enthusiasm, initiative, and leadership potential.
- A strong interest in expanding educational opportunity for all students.
- We are motivated to positively impact the educational and career trajectories of millions of students a year.
- We prioritize building a diverse and inclusive team where every employee can thrive, and every voice is heard.
- We value learning and growth; we offer formal and informal ways to lead through your superpowers, sharpen your strengths, and meet your development goals.