This non-licensed position is accountable for assisting with general support for the laboratory, following all applicable policies and procedures.
- Prepares and organizes samples for testing, for example, sample racking, aliquoting and tube preparation.
- Responsible for labeling, handling, processing or preparation, and transportation and storage of specimens.
- Identifies sample problems and assists in resolving them appropriately.
- Prepares testing equipment and assists with preventive maintenance. Notifies appropriate technical staff of equipment problems.
- Assists licensed personnel (CA only) or delegated supervisors (non-CA) in the pre-analytic and post-analytic testing activities, other than trainees, in a licensed clinical laboratory.
- Prepares pre-analytical reagents and controls using automated or fixed volume measuring devices. Submits documentation to appropriate staff for approval to use.
- Prepares and maintains complete and accurate records of reagents or media using established procedures, formulas, stock solutions, and fixed volume measuring devices.
- Maintains inventory of consumable items including reagents and supplies. Orders, unpacks, logs, dates and stores reagents/supplies upon receipt and properly rotates stock for use. Performs inventory of laboratory items including restocking the benches and equipment inventory.
- Performs data entry or transcribes data from previously recorded results to computer for data reduction and prepares for licensed personnel's review.
- Tallies workload data and prepares reports as requested.
- Assists in the performance of quality control procedures.
- Prepares protocols/logs or other appropriate documents.
- Identifies specimen problems and demonstrates the ability to appropriately resolve or elevate to licensed personnel (CA only) or delegated supervisor (non-CA).
- Answers phones, transfers, or takes accurate messages. Maintains the confidentiality of client information.
- Helps to ensure the laboratory areas are neat, clean, and organized.
- Complies with all health and safety policies, procedures, and practices. Required to use personal protective equipment.
- Other duties as assigned. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities, but rather a general description of work performed by the position.
QUALIFICATIONS Required Work Experience:
For Lab Associates in Histopathology departments the following qualifications are required:
Basic knowledge of operating non-complex equipment Preferred Work Experience:
2 - 3 years of laboratory experience preferred. Physical and Mental Requirements:
- The normal performance of duties may require lifting and carrying objects. Objects in the weight range of 1 to 10 pounds are lifted and carried frequently; objects in the weight range of 11 to 25 pounds are lifted and carried occasionally and objects in the weight range of 26 to 50 pounds are seldom lifted and carried. Objects exceeding 50 pounds are not to be lifted or carried without assistance.
- Performs repetitive tasks with dominant hand.
- Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods.
- Have good eye and hand coordination.
- A working knowledge of reagent stability and storage.
- An awareness of the factors that influence test results.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Application (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Strong typing skills desirable.
- Communication and interpersonal skills necessary to deal courteously and effectively with management, co-workers, and clients.
- Other automation skills helpful.
High School Diploma or Equivalent(Required)
Some College Courses