The Assistant Engineer, Geologist, or Scientist is responsible for providing support to the project team in executing all aspects of project work. Work assignments will typically be related to one or more of the following: environmental services (sampling planning and activities, site investigation, monitoring, remedial action operation & maintenance, etc.), remediation, civil construction, or other projects as opportunities become available.
MAJOR DUTIES AND TASKS:
- Work effectively with multi-disciplinary project teams to achieve project goals and objectives.
- Support Project Plan preparation including Work Plans, health and safety plans (including APP/SSHP/AHAs), Quality Control Plans, Sampling and Analysis Plans, Quality Assurance Project Plans, Waste Management Plans, and other documentation required in the project planning phase.
- Identify and prepare permit applications (Air, NPDES, E&S, SWM, etc.) to allow projects to proceed.
- Prepare for field investigations/sampling events.
- Assemble required forms, checklists, chain of custodies, etc.
- Identify equipment, materials, laboratories, and subcontractors required for project and work with Project Manager and Procurement.
Field Investigation/Sampling/Site Assessments:
- Support field investigations/sampling events.
- Coordinate equipment, materials, laboratories, and subcontractors.
- Ensure that Work Plans, SOPs, and regulatory requirements are followed for investigation and sampling events.
- Maintain field forms and log books for sampling events, chains of custody for samples, and other related documentation.
- Prepare reports.
Treatment Plant Operation and Maintenance
- Provide technical and logistical support for treatment plant operators.
- Become familiar with O&M Manual and permit requirements.
- Review all field and lab data upon receipt.
- Review operations and sample results to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Track operating data to ensure efficient operation.
- Support report preparation.
- Support performance monitoring events.
- Assist Construction Manager/Site Superintendent with project oversight to ensure all work elements are performed in accordance with Plans and Specifications, as well as permit or other regulatory requirements.
- Serve as a technical resource for projects.
- Identify equipment, materials, laboratories, and subcontractors required for project, and work with Project Manager and Procurement to obtain support resources for projects.
- Support report preparation.
- Ensures health and safety protocols are followed.
- Review site specific health and safety plans with onsite employees and subcontractors.
- Work with project team to ensure subcontractors and project personnel are following required OSHA standards and project health and safety plan protocols.
- Review all contractor daily safety procedures and documentation (i.e., inspection sheets for any equipment being used on site).
- Advise Site Safety and Health Officer of any unsafe or potentially hazardous activity as needed to correct unsafe/hazardous conditions.
- Maintain all required OSHA and/or Client-required certifications and documentation.
- Work with project team to ensure that project plans and quality control plans are implemented.
- Review product and material submittals for compliance with contract specifications/drawings.
- Assist with maintaining project-required documentation.
EDUCATION, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Assist project team as assigned, being flexible to work at multiple levels and on multiple projects concurrently.
- Work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Communicate effectively with project team.
- BS in Engineering, Geology, or Environmental Science, or related field.
- 0-5 years of progressive environmental services and remediation experience.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Strong data collection, evaluation, and technical writing skills.
- Preference in experience working with Federal Government clients (USACE, US Navy, etc.).
- Position requires strict adherence to health and safety procedures, attention to detail, good work ethic, and a passion for high quality workmanship.
- Current HAZWOPER certification preferred.
- Must be proficient in commonly used software (e.g., Word, Excel, etc.).
- Soil/groundwater/sediment/surface water/soil gas sample collection experience preferred.
As a Federal Contract Employer, KOMAN Families of Companies follows Federal Laws as it pertains to drug testing. All candidates who receive a written offer of employment will be required to undergo drug testing for commonly abused controlled substances in accordance with Federal Law. It is important to note although a State may have legalized a controlled substance, if the controlled substance is illegal per Federal Law, it is then considered to be illegal. KOMAN Families of Companies is a Drug-Free Workplace. Successful completion of a background and DMV record check also must be completed prior to hire.
- Frequent travel is required including the potential for extended travel.
- Ability to work overtime and availability outside of normal business hours is required.
Preference will be given to Natives of Kodiak, Inc. Shareholders and Descendants of Shareholders in accordance with Title 43 U.S. Code 1626(g) and Title 42 U.S. Code 2000e - 2(i)
KGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories.