Accounting Associate - Extension Business Office
University of Illinois Extension Administration, Business Office
WE TRANSFORM LIVES.
Everything we do is designed to improve the quality of life of the people in the state of Illinois, across the nation, and around the world. We discover, develop, translate, and disseminate knowledge to address societal concerns and train the next generation of experts and leaders in a way that empowers them to expand the boundaries of science to higher levels of understanding and influence.
Be a part of our story. Through learning partnerships that extend knowledge and change lives, University of Illinois Extension provides educational programs aimed at making life better, healthier, safer, and more profitable for individuals and their communities. Illinois Extension has operated continuously for more than 100 years connecting the citizens of Illinois to their land-grant university by providing educational programming around the state. University of Illinois Extension is based in the College of ACES and works with all colleges and units of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
This position provides administrative support for University of Illinois Extension in the College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES). The Accounting Associate is a member of the financial team and participates in the implementation of financial affairs for UI Extension. This position will be expected to carry out responsibilities consistent with the policies and procedures of the Extension Director, University and federal government, and expected to apply accounting principles, theories, concepts, and practices in order to independently resolve problems for which no clear precedent may exist. Responsibilities extend beyond accounting system maintenance to the solution of complex managerial problems. The position reports to the Lead Accounting Associate who reports to the Associate Director, Budget, Finance and Workforce Development, who reports to the Director of Extension.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide direction, support, and fiscal training to County Directors and Unit Fiscal Support personnel
- Participate in the fiscal review team in the Unit Audits which are designed to identify and implement areas of improvement in fiscal operations
- Train new fiscal staff in the use of Banner, BA4, and other systems
- Provide training during the quarterly "All Come" webinars
- Assist with Chrome River charge code review as required
- Monitor budgets and expenditures of Extension. Identifies budget allocation problems, opportunities, and possible resources
- Review and approve journal vouchers as directed by the Lead Accounting Associate
- Provide leadership for the development of accounting systems at the operational levels within Extension, ensuring that Extension complies with all applicable College, University, and federal policies
- Perform the year-end closeout effort for all accounting activities as directed
- Perform any required transfer of fund requests
- Help oversee the Extension separation pool
- Identify and correct incorrect CFOAPAL combinations (rogues)
- Develop and improve systems designed to oversee financial activities such as P-Card transactions, purchase orders, journal voucher approvals, and other financial activities
- Reconcile various fund accounts as required
- In conjunction with the Assistant Director, update and modernize the Fiscal Intranet site
- Serve as backup Extension Unit Security Manager (USC)
- Serve as backup Extension Unit P-Card Department Card Manager
- Serve as backup Extension Unit T-Card Department Card Manager
- Serve as backup Extension Travel
- Serve on campus committees as the opportunities arise
Additional Physical Demands
- Comply with all Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity policies and guidelines in all aspects of Extension work; assist unit staff with data collection for affirmative action, gender, and targeted reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned and may arise in the financial operation of Extension
The position is in an office setting. Physical demands are general.Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor's degree with a major in Accountancy or a related field AND two (2) years of professional level accounting experience. OR Possession of current registration as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Management Accountant, or a valid license to practice Public Accounting (LPA). OR Master's degree in Accountancy or a related field. Additional education, training, and/or work experience in an area of specialization inherent to the position may be required: Preferred Qualifications
A minimum of at least two years' experience managing financial resources in a complex organization utilizing computer-based business information management systems and their applications. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Knowledge of and significant hands-on experience with Microsoft Office and other reporting and accounting systems. Proven analytical, communication and interpersonal skills. Appointment Information
This is a 100% full-time Civil Service 5000 - Accounting Associate position, appointed on a 12-month basis. Salary is commensurate with experience.
For more information on Civil Service classifications, please visit the SUCSS web site at https://www.sucss.illinois.gov/pages/classspec/default.aspx . Application Procedures & Deadline Information
Applications must be received by 6:00 pm (CST) on February 17, 2023. Apply for this position using the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of this posting. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position. Applications not submitted through https://jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. The University of Illinois must also comply with applicable federal export control laws and regulations and, as such, reserves the right to employ restricted party screening procedures for applicants.
Out-of-state candidates must establish Illinois residency within 180 calendar days of the start date for this position. Illinois residency requires proof of a valid Illinois Driver's License or state of Illinois ID Card. Failure to produce the required documentation within 180 calendar days will result in immediate termination of employment.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify .
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal , or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing email@example.com . Requisition ID
: 1015053 Job Category
: Administrative Apply at: